The Department of Foreign Literature and Languages offers:
- Language courses in Arabic, French, German, Italian, and Spanish
- Majors and minors in French and Spanish (literature, culture, and advanced language courses)
- French and Spanish concentrations within the Liberal Arts Major
- French and Spanish literature and culture courses in English translation
- Italian Studies courses in English translation
The study of world languages brings you opportunities to discover new worlds and connect with other cultures. Learning another language will make a difference in how you view the world and how the world views you. It expands the outlook and interests of the educated citizen, and cultivates a spirit of tolerance and understanding. Enlightened citizenship is key to being able to function in today’s ever-shrinking world.
To be competitive on a global scale, the business world of tomorrow needs individuals who can work in a culturally diverse environment and who have strong skills in a foreign language. The knowledge of other languages is a valuable asset in the workplace of tomorrow. Workers will be called upon to cooperate with colleagues in other countries, crossing time zones, languages, and cultures.