Skip to main content.

Advising FAQ

Each department within the College of Engineering has its own method of assigning faculty advisors that best suits the needs of its students.

You can find the name of your academic advisor by logging in to COIN via myUMassD.  If you do not have a faculty advisor listed in COIN, contact your major department directly.

If you are in Engineering Undecided, contact the undergraduate academic advisor: 508.910.6959 or

There are many reasons why you may have a hold preventing your enrollment in courses. You should first look in your Student Center of COIN to see what type of hold you have.

If you have an Advising hold, it is because you have not met with your advisor to discuss courses for the upcoming semester. All students must meet with their advisors each semester to discuss academic plans and progress towards graduation.

Other holds may be financial (you owe money to the University). Past due balance holds can only be removed by the Bursar’s Office; stop by the Student Service Center in the Foster Administration Building to have that hold removed.

Immunization holds need to be addressed by Health Services. Some holds only the student can remove, such as Emergency Contact Information.

Engineering undecided students should declare a major as soon as possible—and no later than your 3rd semester. There is an advantage to declaring the major early: you will be assigned to a faculty advisor within that major and you will begin taking specialized courses required for that major. 

To declare the major, obtain a Change of Major form and bring it to the CoE Academic Advisor. As long as you are in good standing (2.0 or higher GPA), you will be accepted into the major.

If you are a student at UMass Dartmouth, but are not in the College of Engineering, you may apply to enter specific engineering programs. First, review the requirements for intra-university transfers.

Next (if you qualify), obtain a Change of Major form and bring that form to the CoE academic advisor, who will sign the form and assign you an advisor if you are accepted. Then, you'll need to obtain the signature of the department head of the major you are leaving. Finally, bring the form to DION 326 for the signature of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

You can minor in one of more than 50 academic fields, taking courses in an area that complements your major. With a minor, students complete at least 18 credits (not including any required prerequisite courses), half of them in upper level courses.

Before declaring the minor, you should speak with an advisor in the minor department as well as your major advisor, to learn how the minor will affect your plan of study and progress towards graduation.

To declare a minor, obtain a Declaring a Minor form and bring it to the department offering the minor.

Students are allowed to re-take a course one time. Obtain an approval form for additional re-takes, which must be approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

If a course is re-taken, it is noted on the transcript as a repeat, the original grade is removed from the GPA, and the second grade is factored into the GPA (both grades remain visible on the transcript).

Certain courses in Math and Physics can be retaken as an alternate version, and the grade from the most recent attempt will be factored into the GPA.

These courses include:

  • Mth 153 / Mth 151
  • Mth 154 / Mth 152
  • Mth 213 / Mth 211
  • Phy 111 / Phy 113
  • Phy 112 / Phy 114

At the end of each semester, students will receive a letter from the College of Engineering informing them of their academic standing (warning, probation, extended probation, or dismissal).

If your semester GPA is below 2.0 but your cumulative GPA is above 2.0, you will receive an Academic Warning. If your cumulative GPA is below 2.0, you will be placed on Academic Probation. Students whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 but earned a semester GPA of 2.3 or higher and who have passed a minimum of two-thirds (67%) of the attempted credits are placed on Extended Probation. Students may remain in this status until their cumulative GPA rises to a minimum of 2.0, as long as they continue to earn a 2.3 semester GPA.

If your cumulative GPA is below 2.0 for 2 consecutive semesters, you will be placed on Academic Dismissal, meaning you are eligible to be dismissed from the university. Students who are eligible for dismissal may appeal that decision to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Students who are dismissed are prevented from taking classes at UMass Dartmouth for at least one semester. Dismissed students must demonstrate that they can succeed academically during their time away by enrolling in courses at another institution. Students should consult with their major department head for advice on courses to complete to be successfully readmitted. 

You can use the tutoring services at the Science & Engineering Center (SENG Room 217B) for help with math, science, and engineering courses. For help with English or writing courses, visit the Writing and Reading Center, which is located on the second floor of the Liberal Arts building.

The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs signs all paperwork requiring a Dean’s signature. To obtain a signature, stop by the College of Engineering Dean’s Office, DION Room 326. Do not wait until the last minute, as it may take a few business days for the paperwork to be signed and returned to you.

Back to top of screen