Skip to main content.

The Bursar's Office handles several financial related functions for our students and the campus community. Below, please find answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. If you need additional information, please contact our office at 508.999.8832 or

Billing Information FAQ

How does UMassD process their student billing?

Your student account includes charges (such as tuition and fees, on-campus housing and dining plans) and credits (such as scholarships, loans, and family payments). UMassD will send you an email notification on a monthly basis to advise you to review your student account balance and make payment for the balance due. Payment is due 30 days after charges are assessed. If you need a printed invoice, you can print an on-demand statement at any time.

Authorized Users (parents, guardians, or other trusted third parties) must be designated by the student before anyone other than the student can have access to view and pay the statement. Due to FERPA privacy laws, UMassD can only discuss your account with individuals you designated on the FERPA Authorization Form.

What are the due dates for student bills?

The fall term charges will be assessed in July. Students and Authorized Users are sent an email reminder monthly to log into COIN to review charges and make payment for any balance due. The first spring e-bill reminder will be generated in January.

Most term charges, such as tuition, college fees, mandatory fees, student health insurance, and, if appropriate, room and board charges, are posted at the beginning of each term.

If you are receiving financial aid that includes scholarships, grants, and student loans, please be advised that aid will disburse evenly between all terms in an academic year. The academic year is two semesters, fall and spring.

You will receive an email notification when it is time to view and pay your balance. Failure to remit payment can result in the assessment of a late fee and a hold that prevents future registration, the loss of University services, and the ability to obtain an official transcript.

What happens if I cannot pay my bill by the due date?

Failure to make payment in full by will result in a $50 late fee and may jeopardize your course registration and/or housing status. Should you fall into certain financial difficulties, please call the University Enrollment Center at 508.999.8857 to inquire about other financial aid or payment plan options.

Can my Parent/Guardian access my student account information?

Students are able to grant access for specified functions to parents, guardians, employers, spouses or other involved individuals within their Student Center in COIN. These functions include viewing student invoices, waiving health insurance and making a payment as well as other student records activities such as viewing grades. For more information, please refer to the Help tab on the portal homepage under  .

How can I enroll in or waive the school's health insurance plan?

Students are required to enroll in or waive the University health insurance plan using the student self-service system COIN. All students who have not either enrolled in or waived the university health insurance plan by the due date of the bill will have a registration hold on their account. Once assessed to the bill, students are responsible for paying the insurance charge. For more information, please refer to the Help tab on the portal homepage under 

How can I use the private scholarships I have received toward my tuition and fees?

Copies of scholarship award letters need to be sent to both the Financial Aid and Bursar's Offices so that scholarships can be applied to the student's account. All scholarship checks should be sent to the Bursar's Office. The checks should be made payable to UMass Dartmouth and include the student name and student ID. Private scholarships are a form of financial aid and therefore any scholarships received may cause existing financial aid packages to be adjusted. Questions concerning the handling of private scholarships are directed to the University Enrollment Center (UEC) at 508.999.8057.

How can payments be made?

See the Bursar's website for all available payment options.

Is there a monthly payment plan?

We offer a monthly payment plan which allows students and families to pay the term bill in monthly installments, interest free. The UMassD Monthly Payment Plan offers a maximum of five payments per term due August–December, and January–May.

Students and Authorized Users enroll online through COIN. Students must set up a parent, spouse, or other family member as an Authorized User to allow them to view the student account, enroll in a payment plan, or make payments.

More information is available on the Bursar's website.

What are the costs for tuition, fees, and housing?

Cost information:

What do I do if I don't want to pay the waivable fees?

Students who do not wish to be charged this fee must complete the online waiver process in COIN using the waivable fees link on the Student Center page.

Where can I print my bill?

UMassD sends an email notification on a monthly basis to advise you to review your student account balance and make payment for the balance due. Payment is due 30 days after charges are assessed. If you need a printed invoice, you can print an on-demand statement at any time in COIN Student Financial.


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.