Students provide companionship for a specified number of hours per week, depending on the number of credits that they are taking (1-6 credits/semester is available). Three hours of service per week is required per credit. In addition to their weekly hours, students attend 5 one-hour Community Companions meetings each semester.
Meetings will occur once a month over the course of the semester, with monthly meeting times determined by the participating students in consultation with the program director.
How to find a volunteer opportunity
- Login into myUMassD
- Under Student Resources, find the section for Jobs & Career Planning
- Find link to Career Planning/Job Search Tools
- Go to Handshake and initiate a job search
- Use the keywords "Community Companion" to find opportunities
- Click on each position for additional information and application instructions
- For help with finding volunteer placement, contact the Career Development Center at 508.999.8658 or email Amelia Alburn.
- For questions about Community Companions, contact Psychology Professor Dr. Andrew Revell.