Skip to main content.

Cross-Registration: Take classes at other colleges in southeastern Massachusetts

As a student at UMass Dartmouth, you are eligible to enroll in a limited number of courses at other colleges in southeastern Massachusetts. The Southeastern Association for Cooperation in Higher Education in Massachusetts, or SACHEM, is a collaboration among 9 area colleges to encourage cross-registration.

Member Institutions

In addition to UMass Dartmouth, the collaborating institutions are:


1. To qualify, a student must be enrolled as a degree student, on a full-time basis, in good academic standing, at one of the SACHEM institutions.

2. This benefit is offered on a space-available basis only.

3. Courses available are only those offered for credit during the regular September-May academic year. Each institution reserves the right to limit or bar access to certain programs.

4. Qualified students are allowed to enroll in a maximum of two courses at one time, subject to further limitation by home or host institution. Each institution has the option to restrict cross registration (e.g.: only for courses not available at the home institution, only for upper-class students, only for non-major courses, etc.)

5. (a) Enrollees are not charged extra tution and mandatory fees as long the SACHEM course is part of the normal full-time load at home institution.

    (b) Students must have paid the equivalent of full-time tuition and fees at the home institution to qualify for waived tuition and fees at the host institution.

    (c) Exchange students may be liable for course specific fees as required by the host institution.

6. The student is responsible for the following:

          (a) Completion of the Approval Form at the home institution.

          (b) Adherence to the procedures for cross-registration as listed hereby.

          (c) Payment of laboratory, studio, or other fees.

          (d) Assurance that all course pre-requisites have been met.

          (e) Adherence to other academic regulations of the host institution. (The student is responsible for obtaining such regulations.)

7. Each institution reserves the right to withhold permission for cross-registration if the host institution's calendar makes it impossible for a student to complete graduation and/or course requirements by the normal date.


If you're interested in cross-registration, follow these steps:

1. Obtain the necessary information and forms from the Registrar's Office at UMass Dartmouth: first floor, Foster Administration Building.

2. Assure eligibility by reading the regulations related to the program.

3. Complete the (Foster Admin. Clog., First Floor, Am. 116) Cross-Registration Approval Form with all required signatures.

4. Bring the completed Cross-Registration Approval Form to the Registrar's Office at the institution where you are planning to take the course(s).

5. At the conclusion of the course(s), request that the Registrar at the host institution forward a copy of your grades to UMass Dartmouth.

6. Course and credit will appear as transfer work on your UMass Dartmouth transcript.