Students with the following Expected Graduation Term in COIN will be eligible to apply for graduation based on the following:
|Expected Graduation Date||Degree Conferral Date|
|2019 Spring||5/10/2019 (Undergraduate)
How to apply
Step 1: Verify your expected graduation term in COIN
Log into your COIN Student Center > My Advising Center > Academic Summary and select the appropriate program to confirm your Expected Graduation semester is correct. If incorrect, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student ID, and expected graduation term so that we can update it accordingly in COIN.
Step 2: Review your academic requirements
If you have not already done so, meet with your advisor and review your current Advisement Report and transcript in COIN to ensure that you are on target to meet all major, option/concentration, minor, program of study, track, and certificate requirements including all university, residency and grade point average requirements for your college or school.
Step 3: Apply for graduation in COIN
Log into your COIN Student Center using MOBILE VIEW:
- Select My Academics > Graduation > Apply for Graduation.
- Select Apply for Graduation, then select UMDAR Graduation Survey.
- Upon completion of the UMDAR Graduation Survey, select Apply for Graduation.
- If the expected graduation term is incorrect, select from the dropdown to update and select Continue.
- If expected graduation term is correct, select Continue.
- Select Submit Application.
- Return to My Academics > Graduation >View My Graduation Status. Review all information for accuracy. Diploma/Certificate Name and Diploma/Certificate Address can be added or edited as necessary.
If you experience any issues with applying or do not plan to graduate in 2019, please email your name and student ID to email@example.com
After you apply
You may view your application status at My Academics > Graduation >View My Graduation Status. Your status will change as your application is processed:
|Graduation Application Status||Description|
|Applied for Graduation||Application has been received but not reviewed.|
|Eligible for Graduation||Application for Fall or Winter graduation has not been submitted. Must submit application.|
|Needs to Finish Pending Work||Additional information required by student and/or department to determine eligibility for graduation.|
|Application In Review by Department||Identified as a prospective graduate based on the number of potential earned credits and GPA. Note: Status remains In Review until degree has been certified by your department. Eligible to participate in Commencement. *If you require Summer registration, please review information for "Summer Graduates"|
|Contact Your Department||Application has been denied based on the number of earned credits, GPA and/or other missing requirements. Contact your department for assistance.|
|Degree Awarded||Department has certified that all requirements have been met and degree has been recorded on transcript.|
The Registrar’s Office forwards applicant names to the appropriate academic department for careful review and certification that all requirements have been met.
Once all final grades have been posted, the department will review your degree requirements and send your degree certification to the Registrar’s Office for posting of your degree on your transcript. If the review determines you have not met your requirements, you will be notified by your department.
Once all final grades have been posted, the department will review your degree requirements and send your degree certification to the Registrar’s Office. The paperwork will be sent to the Graduate Studies Office for review. When all relevant authorizations have been issued, the Registrar’s Office will post the degree on your transcript. If the review determines you have not met your equirements, you will be notified by your department.
Diplomas are ordered after your degree is awarded and posted on your transcript. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing and delivery. Diplomas are not handed out at Commencement.
Diplomas will not be released if your degree has not been certified and posted to your transcript. You should check your graduation status and transcript through COIN to verify your degree has been awarded. In addition, all financial holds must be resolved before a diploma and/or official transcript can be released by the University.
If you will not complete your degree requirements by the spring semester but wish to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony, you must meet the following conditions:
- Undergraduate: A maximum of 8 credits to be completed by August 31, 2019.
- Master’s degree (non-thesis option): A maximum of 3 credits to be completed by August 31, 2019; student is expected to complete all other non-coursework graduation requirements (e.g., project report) by the end of the Fall 2019 semester.
- Master’s degree (thesis option): Student has completed all course requirements prior to Commencement and has the reasonable possibility of finishing the thesis by the end of the Fall 2019 semester. Note: MFA students must complete the visual thesis prior to Commencement.
- Doctoral degree: Student must complete all degree requirements prior to the Commencement Ceremony.
In order for summer graduates to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, you must:
- Register and pay for the necessary summer courses(s) during the first week of summer registration.
- If you are planning to take a course(s) at another institution, submit a Prior Approval Form with required signatures no later than April 16, 2019.
- If you are planning to complete an internship, directed study, or practicum during the summer, you must provide a copy of the necessary forms with signatures to the Office of the University Registrar by April 16, 2019.
- Submit the Permission To Participate-Commencement 2019 Form by April 15, 2019 to:
Office of the Registrar, Room 116
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth, MA 02747
Other important university requirements
- Confirm your personal information is current in COIN (i.e. degree/diploma name, diploma/permanent address, personal email address, etc.)
- Clear all financial obligations to the university including but not limited to: full payment of your entire university bill, emergency loans, parking violations, borrowed library books, electronic equipment, and sports equipment. All borrowed university property must be returned to the appropriate place, and any late fees must be paid. Check your COIN account regularly for holds.
- Complete your Federal Direct Loan, Perkins, Nursing or Nurse Faculty Loan exit counseling requirements with Financial Aid and/or the Bursar’s Office:
- Federal Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and/or Graduate PLUS borrowers: My Direct Loan
- Federal Perkins/Nursing borrowers: You will receive an email from Heartland ECSI (loan servicer) https://heartland.ecsi.net. Contact information: UMass Dartmouth Bursar’s Office, 508-999-8087, Bursars@umassd.edu Heartland ECSI, 1-888-549-3274, firstname.lastname@example.org