Graduation 2018


Students must apply for graduation. Instructions for applying will be emailed to the UMassD email address of students with the correct expected graduation date in COIN.



Students with the following Expected Graduation Term in COIN will be eligible to apply for graduation based on the following:


Expected Graduation Term

Application for Graduation Opens

Application Deadline

Degree             Conferral Date

2017 Fall




2018 Winter




2018 Spring




2018 Summer




Academic requirements

  • Meet with your advisor and review your current Advisement Report and transcript in COIN to ensure that you are on target to meet all major, option/concentration, minor, program of study, track, and certificate requirements in order to graduate. This includes all university, residency and grade point average requirements for your college or school.
  • Ensure all courses that are graded with an INC (Incomplete) or IP (In Progress) and blank grades on your transcript have a grade by the end of the term you plan to graduate.
  • Verify that all transfer credits have been submitted and posted to your UMass Dartmouth transcript. 

Administrative requirements

  • Confirm your contact information (address, personal email, etc.) is current in COIN.
  • Clear all financial obligations to the university including but not limited to: full payment of your entire university bill, emergency loans, payment of parking violations, borrowed library books, electronic equipment, and sports equipment. All borrowed university property must be returned to the appropriate place, and any late fees must be paid. Check your COIN account regularly for holds.
  • Complete your Federal Direct Loan, Perkins, Nursing or Nurse Faculty Loan exit counseling requirements with Financial Aid and the Bursar’s Office:
    • Federal Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and/or Graduate PLUS borrowers: My Direct Loan
    • Federal Perkins/Nursing Loan borrowers: Campus Partners  (loan servicer)
    • Nursing Faculty Loan borrowers: You will be contacted by the Bursar's Office to complete an exit interview.

After you apply

The Office of Registrar forwards applicant names to the appropriate academic department for careful review and certification that all requirements have been met.

Undergraduate students: Once all final grades have been posted, the department will send your degree certification to the Office of Registrar for posting of your degree on your transcript.

Graduate students: Once all final grades have been posted, the department will send your degree certification to the Office of Registrar. The paperwork will be sent to the Graduate Studies Office for review. When all relevant authorizations have been issued, the Office of Registrar will post the degree on your transcript.


Due to the small window of time between the end of final exams and the Commencement ceremony, diplomas are not handed out at Commencement.

Diploma mailing begins 6 weeks after the degree conferral date for those students whose degrees have been awarded.

Important Note: Diplomas will not be released if your degree has not been certified and posted to your transcript. You should check your transcript through COIN to verify your degree has been awarded. In addition, all financial holds must be resolved before a diploma can be released by the University.

August graduates

If you will not complete your degree requirements by the spring semester but wish to participate in the May Commencement ceremony, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Undergraduate: A maximum of 8 credits to be completed during the Summer 2018 semester.
  • Master’s degree (non-thesis option): A maximum of 3 credits to be completed during the Summer 2018 semester; student is expected to complete all other non-coursework graduation requirements (e.g., project report) by the end of the Fall 2018 semester.
  • Master’s degree (thesis option): Student has completed all course requirements prior to Commencement and has the reasonable possibility of finishing the thesis by the end of the Fall 2018 semester.  (MFA students must complete the visual thesis prior to Commencement.)
  • Doctoral degree: Student must complete all degree requirements prior to the Commencement ceremony. 

In order to participate in the Commencement ceremony, you must:

  • Register and pay for the necessary summer courses(s) during the first week of summer registration.
  • If you are planning to take a course(s) at another institution, submit a Prior Approval Form (available at the Registrar's forms page) with the required signatures no later than April 15, 2017.
  • If you are planning to complete an internship, directed study, or practicum during the summer, you must provide a copy of the necessary forms with signatures to the Office of the Registrar by April 15, 2017.

Forms should be sent to:

Diane Rodrigues
Office of the Registrar, Room 116
UMass Dartmouth
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth, MA  02747

More information

Frequently asked questions about Graduation