Skip to main content.


Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

Academic advising

  • Charlton College of Business freshmen & sophomores who have completed 45 or less credits are advised by CCB Academic Advisors; Lauren Ferrari (Business Undeclared & General Business Administration), Angeliki Kouma (Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems & Operations Management), and Alexia Orphanides (Human Resources Management, Management and Marketing).
  • Students with 45 or more completed credits will be assigned faculty advisors in the department of their major(s).
  • You can find the name of your advisor by logging in to COIN via myUMassD. If you do not have an academic/faculty advisor listed in COIN, please stop by our office in CCB Room 101.
  • For additional support, the CCB Advising Office offers a team of Peer Mentors. For more information on setting up an appointment with a Peer Mentor or to confirm walk-in office hours, please stop by our office in CCB Room 101.

Before your meeting with your academic advisor, you need to:

  1. print copies of your unofficial transcript and advising report that can be found in COIN;
  2. update your tracking sheet;
  3. and, develop a list of the courses you are hoping to enroll in for the coming semester.

Remember to bring your updated advising report, transcript, tracking sheet, and list of courses you want to take to your advising appointment.

Course enrollment

There are many reasons why you may have a hold preventing your enrollment in courses. You should first look in your Student Center of COIN to see what type of hold you have.

Student Financial Responsibility Agreement

Starting with Fall 2021 registration, acceptance of the University’s student Financial Responsibility Agreement (FRA) is required by each student in order to access the COIN registration. The Student Financial Responsibility Agreement provides important information to students about the cost of their education and the financial policies associated with their enrollment at UMassD. This agreement sets forth the expectations for payment and policies related to, among other things, non-payment, collections, communications, financial aid, and student privacy (FERPA). The agreement also describes UMassD’s business processes. By signing the agreement, students acknowledge they have read the FRA and agree to its terms.


If you have a hold on your account, COIN will block you from enrolling until the hold is removed. Check your COIN account prior to your registration date and address any of the following holds.

Typical holds which will block enrollment include:

Academic Advising Hold

Academic advising holds can be lifted by meeting with your advisor or attending a group advising session.

Registered Balance Hold

Students with an outstanding balance who are currently registered may be subject to a late fee and a financial hold. The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth will place a financial hold on the student account, that may prevent a student from registering for future classes, requesting transcripts, or receiving diploma. Registered balance holds can only be removed by the Bursar’s Office; stop by the Student Enrollment Center in the Foster Administration Building to have that hold removed.

Emergency Contact Hold

In order to remove this hold, students need to log on to their COIN account to verify their emergency contact information in their Personal Data section.

Immunization Hold

The Immunization Hold is placed on student accounts by Health Services and will not block enrollment during the Fall semester. If the Immunization Hold is not removed, it will block your enrollment in the Spring semester. To remove the Immunization Hold, students need to ask their physician to send or fax a copy of their immunization record to UMassD’s Health Services Office (Fax:508-999-8985).

Business Undeclared with 60+ Credits Hold

If you have not declared a major and have earned 60+ credits, a hold will be placed on your COIN account. To remove this hold, you will need to declare a major using the electronic Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form, which can be found at the Registrar. The form can be accessed directly on the portal

Repeating Courses for the 3rd Time Hold

If you are repeating the same course for 3rd time, COIN will block your re-enrollment in the course. You will need to seek permission for the 3rd attempt at the same course from the CCB’s Assistant Dean in CCB Rm. 101. The Assistant Dean will review the request and will send an email to the Registrar’s Office asking the Registrar to enroll you in the class.

COIN blocks students from enrolling in a class if they have not completed the prerequisite courses or lack class standing. COIN, however, can make mistakes. If you have taken the prerequisites and are still being blocked from enrolling in a course, to resolve the problem please fill out “Current Student Registration Request—COIN Error Received” form and email it to your advisor/department chair/graduate program director for approval. Once approved, the form must be emailed to the Student Service (SSC) to process the registration. You will receive an email confirmation from UEC when processed. The form can be found at the Registrar’s website

Generally no, students must have the appropriate class standing and have completed all prerequisites prior to enrolling in advanced courses. If you have a compelling need to take the course, you can meet with CCB’s Academic Advisor or the Associate Dean to request an override of the prerequisite and class standing requirements.

Class standing is based on completed credits:

  • 30 credits are needed to enroll in sophomore-level courses
  • 60 credits are needed to enroll in junior-level courses
  • 90 credits are needed to enroll in senior-level courses

COIN blocks students from enrolling in a class if they have not completed the prerequisite courses or lack class standing. COIN, however, can make mistakes. If you have taken the prerequisites and are still being blocked from enrolling in a course, to resolve the problem please fill out “Current Student Registration Request—COIN Error Received” form and email it to your advisor/department chair/graduate program director for approval. Once approved, the form must be emailed to the Student Service (SSC) to process the registration. You will receive an email confirmation from UEC when processed. The form can be found at the Registrar’s website.

Your UMass Dartmouth education is founded on the importance of a liberal education that goes beyond job training. A university education helps you adapt to a changing job market and provides insight into how to live a thoughtful, meaningful life. The UMass Dartmouth University Studies consists of a set of required courses, much like your academic major. However, instead of being focused in one field, this curriculum takes you across different areas of knowledge and different ways of learning. The required courses are designed to expose you to broad areas of knowledge and to sharpen your analytical, critical thinking, and communication skills. The University Studies requirements are organized into 5 clusters, each based on a purpose or theme. To find the approved courses, please visit University Studies.

  • If a class is closed, check the "Waitlist if class is full" option to add yourself to the waitlist.
  • Wait-listed students have the option of "swapping out" a class for which they are already enrolled if a space becomes available in the wait-listed class.
  • Wait-listed classes will not count toward credits for full-time status. Undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least 12 credits to maintain full-time status for financial aid, housing, and enrollment verification.

Students are skipped over or won’t be added to a class if:

  • a hold that prevents registration is on their COIN account.
  • a time conflicts with enrolled classes.
  • pre- or co-requisite classes have not been met.
  • enrollment would exceed the student’s credit limit.
  • you are enrolled in another section of the same class.
  • Every evening COIN attempts to put the next student on the waitlist into the new opening.
  • If the next student on the waitlist is eligible, based on the criteria explained below, enrollment takes place and the class status remains “Closed” (because the slot was filled with the first wait-listed student).
  • If no students on the waitlist are eligible, the class will be open for enrollment (and will have a status of “Open”).
  • Eligible students will be notified via UMassD email of their enrollment in a class.
  • Ineligible students are not removed from the waitlist. It will seem that COIN is “skipping” students on the waitlist since the name remains.
  • Waitlists remain in effect until the first day of the semester.

During Add/Drop week, students can request enrollment in a closed class by asking the instructor for the course’s permission code or having the instructor sign a Current Student Registration Request - COIN Error Received Form. Use the permission code on COIN to enroll or return the signed Current Student Registration Request - COIN Error Received Form to the University Enrollment Center in Foster Administration Building.

Majors & minors

Undeclared business students need to declare a major before completing 45 credits or no later than fall of your junior year. If you have not declared a major and have reached 60+ credits, a hold will be placed on your COIN account. To remove this hold, you will need to declare a major by completing the online Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form and submitting it. You can find the online Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form at the Registrar's website. Alternatively, you can find the online form directly at the Bonita portal.

Charlton College of Business students can obtain information about programs on their major or minor tracking sheets.

Charlton College of Business faculty members are a great source of career and major information. Also, the Career Center (located in the Campus Center behind the UMass Pass Office), provides business students with help selecting a major and deciding on possible careers. Our Academic Advisor Office (CCB Room 101) has handouts available for each major and the potential careers associated with business majors.

Students within the Charlton College of Business may change from one business major to another once they have completed one full semester at UMassD and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0. Students outside of Charlton College of Business may be accepted into the business college if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • must have a GPA of 2.3 or higher in all courses taken to date with a minimum of 12 earned credits.
  • or, they must have a GPA of at least 2.5 in the following courses:
  • ACT 211
  • MGT 201
  • MTH 146 or POM 212
  • ECO 231 or ECO 232
  • or, at the discretion of the Dean

You can change your major by completing the online Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form and submitting it. You can find the online Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form at the Registrar's website. Alternatively, you can find the form directly at the Bonita portal.

To declare a Charlton College of Business minor, you must have completed 54 credits and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and 2.5 GPA in your major.

You may declare a minor by completing the online Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form and submitting it. You can find the online Undergraduate Major Minor Concentration Change Form at the Registrar's website, Alternatively, you can find the online form directly at the Bonita portal.


A business elective is any 3-credit, 300-400 level business course in the Charlton College of Business that is not a core business requirement or a requirement of the student’s major.

  • A non-business elective is any 3-credit course at any level at UMass Dartmouth that is not a business course.
  • Business students generally tend to select courses in the Liberal Arts or Visual & Performing Arts Colleges that are at the 100-200 level courses to fulfill their non-business electives.
  • Non-business electives may be used toward building a minor outside of Charlton College of Business.


If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, or the Registrar’s Office has placed you on academic warning or probation, you will be required to sign an academic contract with the Assistant Dean in CCB’s Advising Office (CCB Rm. 101). CCB’s Advising Office works with students to promote academic success through strategies such as repeating courses, required tutoring, progress reports, and self-assessments. A student on academic contract must meet with the CCB’s Assistant Dean several times throughout the semester to keep track of his/her academic progress.

Please note the following Academic Standing policy from the University Catalog:

  • Good Academic Standing: Students whose cumulative GPA and semester GPA are 2.0 or above.
  • Academic Warning: Students whose cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above but whose most recent semester GPA is below 2.0.
  • Academic Probation: Students whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0.
  • Extended Probation: Students whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0, but whose GPA for the most recent semester was 2.3 or higher and who have passed a minimum of two-thirds of the attempted credits. Students remain in this status until their cumulative GPA is a minimum of 2.0 or until dismissed.
  • Academic Dismissal: Students whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 for a second consecutive semester without meeting criteria for Extended Probation.
  • Appealing Dismissal: Students may appeal their dismissal to the dean of their college.
  • Readmission after Dismissal: After one semester dismissed students are eligible to apply for readmission to the University. Readmitted students are subject to the standards and restrictions specified by the college to which they are admitted. Readmitted students who fail to meet college standards may be permanently dismissed from the university.
  • The College of Business requires a passing grade in all courses. A grade of “D” is considered passing.
  • Accounting majors have additional requirements. Accounting majors must earn at least a C in ACT 211, 212, 311, & 312.
  • In order to graduate, your Cumulative GPA must be at least 2.0. Also, your GPA in your major, which is based on the average of all the courses you complete in your major, must also be at least a 2.0.

Yes, you can repeat any course to raise a failing or low grade. The grade which you earn in the repeated course will replace the original grade in the GPA calculation. Both grades will always appear on your official transcript.

If you elect to complete the course at another university, you will receive credit for the course but the original failing grade will not be replaced in your GPA.

Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid in a subsequent payment period, including summer term. Financial aid applicants not meeting SAP standards will be deemed ineligible to receive financial aid and will be sent written notification to their permanent address recorded in the university’s system.

For more information on the appeal process, please contact your financial aid counselor. For additional information, please see Financial Aid.

Course policies

For students wishing to take more credits than the maximum load of 18 credits, a course overload form must be completed and submitted. The course overload form is available on the Registrar’s website. The form can be found directly at the Bonita Portal. If approved, the Registrar’s office will enroll you in the course. For students wishing to take over 18 credits, a GPA of 3.0 or higher must be maintained.

WARNING: Students need to be aware of potential problems associated with excessive withdrawals.

  • The decision to withdraw from a class can potentially impact your academic and financial aid standing and should only be done if it is your only option. The first thing you can do before withdrawing from a class is talk with your instructor.
  • Your instructor can inform you about your progress in a specific course based on the grading criteria stated in the syllabus and your participation and grades earned to date. Your instructor may also be able to explore opportunities that may allow you to successfully complete the course in accordance with university guidelines and policies.
  • Students can withdraw from classes only through the10th week of classes of the semester. You can withdraw from a class on COIN. You can also go to the University Enrollment Center or Registrar’s Office to receive help with withdrawing from a class. When you withdraw from a class prior to the deadline, a grade of W will be recorded. Grades of W do not affect a student’s GPA but may impact financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements ( Students who fail to complete this process by the withdrawal deadline will be ineligible for withdrawal and will be graded appropriately by the faculty.
  • Students who withdraw from all courses during the semester shall be deemed to have withdrawn from the University and will be subject to the readmission procedures of the University.

Students may independently withdraw from a maximum of 18 cumulative credits. After a student has exceeded 18 credits of withdrawals during his or her academic career, the student’s college dean or designee must approve any further withdrawal requests, up to 24 credits.

When students exceed 24 credits of withdrawals, they are subject to academic dismissal. If the withdrawals are due to mental health issues, physical illness or other unusual circumstances, you can petition the Office of the Dean to have the academic dismissal “due to excessive withdrawals” policy waived.

Loss of Financial Aid Eligibility

Excessive withdrawals, incompletes, and failing grades may ultimately trigger the loss of financial aid due to a “lack of satisfactory academic progress (SAP)”. If your lack of academic progress was caused by an illness, a disability-related problem or other unusual circumstances, you can petition the Financial Aid Office to reconsider the removal of your financial aid. You may be asked to provide documentation to support your petition to reinstate your financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the measurement of a student’s academic progress toward their degree. The review of a student’s SAP status is based on the entire academic record, even if the student did not receive financial aid for previous semesters of enrollment. In order to be eligible for financial aid, undergraduate students must meet the following SAP criteria:

  • minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
  • minimum completion rate of 67%
  • maximum time frame of 150% of defined academic length for bachelor’s degree and undergraduate certificate programs

Students who do not meet the university SAP standards are not eligible to receive financial aid. SAP status applies to financial aid eligibility and does not impact registration or academic standing. Students who do not meet the minimum SAP requirements for the continuance of financial aid have the right to appeal when special circumstances exist. For more information on SAP and the Appeal process, please visit Financial Aid Services.

Yes, that’s correct. Business students can only use the Pass/Fail Option with non-business electives.

The Pass/Fail Option cannot be used with University Studies courses, core business courses, or courses that make up your major.

The Pass/Fail Option is available to sophomores, juniors and seniors. Students need to select the Pass/Fail Option in the first 5 weeks of the semester. Also remember, the Pass/Fail Option can only be used with a maximum of 4 non-business electives. Only one course per semester can be declared a Pass/Fail course.

Pass/Fail Option Warnings

Remember the Pass/Fail Option cannot be used to fulfill University Studies, core business, or major requirements.

  1. Transfer Courses: Students cannot transfer Pass/Fail courses from other institutions.
  2. Repeated Courses: When the original course was attempted and completed with a grade (passing or not), it can only be repeated for a grade, not as a Pass/Fail course.
  3. No Way Back: Once declared at the Enrollment Office, students can’t turn the course back to a graded course.

Transfer credits

Before enrolling in a course at another university or college, you need to fill out a Prior Approval Form to determine whether and how the transferred course will be accepted at UMassD. Return the completed form to Charlton College of Business Advising Office (CCB Room 101) and we will direct your form to the appropriate department chairperson for review.

Remember you will need at least a C- in the course to receive transfer credit at UMassD. Prior Approval Form is available at the Charlton College of Business Advising Office or online at the Registrar’s website. The Prior Approval Form needs to be signed by the department chair and college dean before it is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

The University will now accept an unlimited number of credits from any institution. Students are still required to complete a minimum of 33 credits at UMass Dartmouth (UMassD) to fulfill the residency requirement. So a maximum of 75 transfer credits can be used toward your degree at UMassD. At least 30 of those UMassD credits must be advanced and specialized.


  • The Academic Resource Center (ARC) offers free peer tutoring to any UMass Dartmouth student throughout the school year, and during an abbreviated schedule during the summer and intersession. Students can utilize the tutoring services at the STEM Learning Lab (STEM) located in SENG 217 and the Business Center located in LARTS 010 for math and business courses. You may set up face-to-face and online tutoring at the Academic Resource Center's website.
  • For help with English or writing courses, visit the Writing and Multiliteracy Center, which is located on the second floor of the Liberal Arts building. The Writing and Multiliteracy Center is a free tutoring service offering online appointments to all members of the UMassD community. Tutors at the WMC can assist with any project involving communication—from written essays and presentations to grant applications and thesis projects/dissertations. You may set up tutoring online at the Writing and Multiliteracy Center. All online tutoring sessions are conducted synchronously. This means that you will meet with your tutor “live” using video and/or text chat. Appointments must be booked via their website at least a half-hour in advance. Day, evening, and weekend options are available.
  • The Language Learning and Multimedia Center, located in LARTS, Rooms 207 & 208, is committed to promoting and facilitating the acquisition of language skills and explore language and culture by providing services and assistance that foster the development of communicative competency in a foreign language. Services include tutoring, drop-in sessions, and conversational groups. You may set up tutoring by going to the Language Learning & Multimedia Center website. Tutoring services are free to students.


The Charlton College of Business internship website explains the eligibility criteria and the steps to earn internship credits.

To be considered for an internship for credits in CCB, students must be a business major, have junior status (60 credit hours), and have an overall GPA of 2.5. Internships can be paid or unpaid and can be located at a site the student recommends or can be chosen from a list of existing internship sites.

Study abroad

Students interested in studying abroad should first contact Gina Reis, Assistant Director of International Programs (located in Liberal Arts Room 016A). At the Charlton College of Business, the person to contact to discuss studying abroad is Professor Cathy Curran (located in CCB Room 324).

Degree Completion/Graduation

Yes. First, review your tracking sheet, COIN advisement report, and transcript to make sure you have completed all of your degree requirements. Then, set up a meeting with your Faculty Advisor to review and confirm your tracking sheet. Lastly, please follow the deadlines and application process as listed on the Registrar’s website.

Degree Completion/Graduation requires the following:

  • the student should earn 120 credit hours of 40 specifically identified courses,
  • a minimum Cumulative GPA of 2.0,
  • a GPA of 2.0 in the student’s academic major (2.5 GPA in a business minor),
  • 30 credit hours of course work at UMassD at the 300+ level, and
  • 33 credit hours completed at UMassD
    • *Courses retaken for grade improvement will not increase the number of earned credits.

Students needing additional credits during the summer may participate with the approval of their department chairperson and dean of their college if they provide a feasible plan to complete their requirements by August 31st of that academic year. Typically, students should not seek approval if they have more than 9 credits to complete during the summer. Students seeking this option are required to submit the Permission to Participate-Commencement form along with required department chairperson/college dean signatures and proof of summer registration to the Registrar's Office.

Students who expect to complete their degree requirements after August 31st may participate in the following spring commencement ceremony. An individual may participate in only one commencement ceremony per degree. The "Permission to Participate in Commencement" form can be located within the "Resources" section in the right column of the Graduation webpage.

Back to top of screen