Civil and environmental engineering is the engineering of constructed facilities:
- buildings, bridges, tunnels, and dams
- harbors and airports
- waterways, railways, and highways
- water power, irrigation, drainage, and water supply
- wastewater and hazardous waste disposal
- environmental health systems
Civil engineers are the professionals who plan, design, direct the construction, and oversee the maintenance of these facilities.
- BS in Civil Engineering
- BS in Civil Engineering - Environmental Resources Engineering Concentration
- BS/MS in Civil & Environmental Engineering - Accelerated Program
- MS in Civil & Environmental Engineering
Students who study civil engineering may be interested in pursuing advanced degrees, including UMassD's PhD in Engineering & Applied Science.
Excellence in civil engineering
The department’s faculty members are excellent teachers, active researchers, and recognized innovators, with a focus on:
- coastal engineering
- environmental engineering
- geotechnical engineering
- structural engineering
- transportation engineering
- water resources engineering
Our up-to-date classrooms, laboratories, and facilities make cutting-edge learning and discovery possible—with research opportunities available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.