On behalf of faculty, staff and students I am proud to welcome you to the Computer and Information Science Department’s (CIS) website at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Our faculty members are involved in research and professional activities in many major areas of computing such as:
- software engineering of object-oriented systems;
- formal methods in software design and development;
- parallel and distributed computing;
- neural computing, multi-agent systems;
- electronic commerce;
- computer and sensor networks;
- data visualization and computer vision;
- computer and information security;
- mobile robotics; and
- software process and social implications of computing.
Some of these research activities were sponsored by grants from
- National Science Foundation;
- Office of Naval Research, Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport, Rhode Island;
- US Department of Energy;
- Commonwealth Information Technology Initiative;
- UMASS Dartmouth Foundation; and
- companies from local computer industry.
Students who study computer and information science may be interested in pursuing advanced degrees, including the Ph.D. Program in Engineering and Applied Science.
The Department will continue its Computer Camp for middle school children this year.
Our faculty and staff members are dedicated to excellence in education and computer science research. Please join us to study or to work with us on new ideas and visions of computing in the 21th century.
The undergraduate Computer Science program's enrollment and degree data are available here.
Please contact me if you have any questions or you need assistance in your professional decisions related to computer science.Jan Bergandy
Professor and Chair