Memory Holloway Recent Work
MEMORY HOLLOWAY: Recent Work
Selected Writings and Scholarly Presentations
- Making Time: Picasso and Suite 347. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2006
- Picasso in the Collection of the National Gallery of Victoria. Melbourne: National Gallery of Victoria.
- "Home Away from Home: Visual Narratives of the Portu,ouese Court in Brazil." In Narrating the Portuguese Diaspora, Francisco Fagundes and Irene Maria Blayer, ed. London: Peter Lang, 2010.
- "Compulsive Attraction: The Later Works on Paper." Picasso: Mosqueteros, ed. John Richardson. New York: Gagosian Gallery, 2009, 169-239.
- "Making Waves: Cape Verdean Whalers and the Voyage of the Sunbeam." In Jorgen Carling and Luis Batal.ha. eds. Transnational Archipelago: Perspectives on Cape Verdean. Migration and Diaspora. Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam Press, 2008.
- "Dining with Panthers." Review of Maria Manuel Lisboa, Paula Rego 's Map of Memory. In Portuguese Studies. London: King's College Press. 208-211.
- "Rear View Mirror." In Ruth Rosengarten, Compreender Paula Rego: 25 Perspectivas. Porto: Museu Serralves, 46-49.
- "Prece nas areais: Paula Rego e as representacoes visuais da Prirneira Missa no Brasil. In Joao Cezar de Castro Rocha, ed. Nenhum Brazil Existe: Pequena Enciclopedia. Rio de Janeiro: Universidade Editora, 63-73.
- "Rhinoceros sans come: Paula Rego et 1 'antitradition de 1' autoportrait" InArchivos do Centro Cultural Ca/ouste Gulbenkian, xxxxi Special Issue, Biographies. Ed. Francisco Bethencourt, 305- 13. Paris, Fondation Calouste Gulbenkian, 2000.
Exhibition Catalogues (with scholarly essays)
- The Battleship Project: Women Protecting Us. An exhibition on women in the military. USS Massachusetts, Fall River. Curatorial consultant.
- "Time and Time Again." In Denis Pie/, Facescapes. Lisbon: Museu Nacional do Traje.
- "Spencer Ladd: Photographs of the Sheep's Pasture Gardens." Boston, MA
- Anthony Fisher. Galerie Mourlot, New York.
- A Storied Lens: The Photographic World of Norman Fortier. New Bedford: New Bedford Whaling Museum. DVD text and narration for the exhibition.
- Through a Portagee Gate: 19th Century Photographs of New Bedford from the New Bedford Whaling Museum Dartmouth: University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- "Double Vision: On the Sculpture of John Magnan and His Viewers." In Body Image/Body Essence. Ed. John Magnan, 9-62. New Bedford: Spinner Publications.
- "Praying in the Sand: Pau1a Rego and Visual Repre:,entations of The First Mass in Brazil, Portuguese Literary and Cultural Studies (Brazil Issue), 4, (Summer 2000).
- "Amadeo Sousa Cardoso, A Mexican and a Mohican: Hybridity and Coexistence in the Paintings of 1917," Portuguese Literary and Cultural Studies, 3 (Spring 2000): 293-311.
- "Picturing Time: Some Photographs of Lidia Jorge," Portuguese Literary and Cultural Studies, 2, (Spring 1999): 140-154.
Grants Under Review
- 2010 American Council of Learned Societies. Principal investigator. For book on the visual representation of Celestina: Murillo, Goya, Picasso, Rego. In collaboration with Carol Salus, Associate Professor, Obio State University
Other Professional Activities
- Ford Foundation Pre-doctoral and postdoctoral fellowships program. Reviewer and panel chair (2007).
- Advisory Board, on Representing Portugal, Consulate of Portugal, New Bedford.
- Department of Defense, Cultural Team, Azores. Representing UMD in collaboration with the National Park Service, and the New Bedford Whaling Museum.
- DVD. Through a Storied Lens: Norman Fortier. New Bedford Whaling Museum.
- DVD. The League School. Research, script and narration on autism. Joe Pires, videographer. The League School, Boston.
- DVD. Feast ofMadeira. New Bedford. Script and narration. Commissioned by the committee for the Feast of Madeira, New Bedford. Joe Pires, videographer.
- Print journalism
- Radio-Televisao Portugal Internacional (RTPI): Interview with Pedro Bicudo on the occasion of "Window on the Azores", Whaling Muselllii, New Bedford.
- Radio-Televisao Portugal Internacional (RTPI): Guest, Programa Carlos de Carmo.
- 3Arts commentator. Australian Broadcasting Commission.
- American Portuguese Studies Association. International Conference on Trans-Atlantic Exchanges. "Cinema in the Time of Salazar." Co-Chair; organized two sympopsia on visual culture (with Ellen Sapega, U. Wisconsin) Brown University. October 7-9.
- Museum of Modem Art, New York. "The Late Work: Lightning Bolt Man." April 10.
- New England Women's Studies Association. "Bad Girls, Working Girls: The Study of Female Roles in Contemporary Film." University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. April30-May I.
- Mediterranean Studies Association. "Salazar's Boots: Women, Power and Authority in the Work
- of Paula Rego." Universidad de Salamanca May 26-29
- Gender and Empire and Postcolony: Intersections in Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies: ~Salazar's Boots: Paula Rego and the Visual Legacy of Fascism. University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, October 9-10,
- Latin American Studies Association 281h International Congress. Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro. "From Whipping Post to Tourist Destination: 191h and 201h century images of Rio de Janeiro and Bahia." (accepted)
- Clark Institute. Image and Movement: Film Studies and Art History. May 17. 2010
- Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities. Annual Dinner Benefit. "On the Clemente Course in the Humanities." November 20.
- McCord Museum, Montreal. Bodies on Display. Chair: "Body, Dress, and Medical Culture."November6-8.
- Narrating the Portuguese Diaspora: "Home Away from Home: The Portuguese Court in Brazil" University of Lisbon. October 23-25.
- Bioneers by the Bay Conference: The Geopolitics of Production and Consumption University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- Clark Institute. 'What is Research?' Fall.
- Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora. "Slave with Iron Muzzle: Control, Consumption and Veneration" Barbados." October 9-11.
- Mediterranean Studies Conference "Low Objects and Dead Things: Picasso and the Still Life of War." May 30-June 1. Evora, Portugal; Session Chair: Architecture and Art
- Girls in the Social Margins Regional Conference. ~Media Representation of Girls." ATMC. May 6.
- Artworks. "On Collections and Collecting Works of Art." Fall.
- Clark Institute. The Meaning of Photography. November 19.
- Mediterranean Studies Conference. 'Seeking the Fountain of Youth: Picasso's and the Font de Canaletes.' Barcelona, May 2004.
- Southworth Public Library, Dartmouth, MA. "Starlight and Straw: Nativity Narratives in Renaissance Art" November 2003.
- Post Imperial Camoes: A Colloquinm. "Facing Camoes." University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, October
- John F. Kennedy Library. "A Tribute to Jose Saramago." Moderator. April 19.
- Mediterranean Studies Conference. "Painting the Body: Cezanne and the Nudes of Aix," Aix-en-Provence, May 2001.
- American Institute ofGraphic Artists. "Crazy Legs: Apollinaire and the Corporeality of Punctuation," Boston, April.
- College Art Association Session: The Lives of the Artists: Autobiography, February 25 "Rear View Mirror: Looking Back While Moving Forward: The Woik of Paula Rego. February 25.
- Centre Culture! Calouste Gulbenkian, Paris: "Les deux faces du miroir: problemes de l'autobiograpbie dans Ia peinture." Lecture and round table discussion.