UMass Dartmouth faculty Pamela Karimi
PAMELA KARIMI: Selected Recent Work
Book and Edited Volumes:
- Domesticity and Consumer Culture in Iran: Interior Revolutions of the Modern Era (Routledge, 2013)
- The Destruction of Cultural Heritage in the Middle East: From Napoleon to ISIS, special issue in Aggregate Architectural Collaborative (forthcoming in 2016 | with Nasser Rabbat).
- Reinventing the American Post-industrial City, special issue of The Journal of Urban History (Sage, 2015 | with Thomas Stubblefield).
- Jensiyyat, khaneh, va farhang-e masrafi [Gender, Domesticity, and Consumer Culture], special issue of Zannegaar: An Online Journal of Women’s Studies (2014).
- Images of Children and Childhood in the Middle East, special issue of Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East (Duke University Press, 2012 | with Christiane Gruber).
- Access, special issue of Thresholds (MIT, 2006)
Other Recent Publications:
- “Alternative Belongings: Instituting and Inhabiting the Iranian Underground,” in After Belonging: The Objects, Spaces, and Territories of the Ways We Stay in Transit, edited byLluís Alexandre Casanovas Blanco, et al., in conjunction with the After Belonging Agency and the Oslo Architecture Triennial (Zurich: Lars Müller Publishers, 2016).
- “In Memoriam: Zaha Hadid (1950-2016),” in The Middle East in London Magazine (May 2016).
- “Tourism, Voyeurism, and the Media Ecologies of Tehran’s Mural Arts,” in Visiting Murals: Politics, Heritage and Identity, edited by Jonathan Skinner and Lee Jolliffe (Ashgate/Routledge, 2016).
- “Introduction: Reinventing the American Postindustrial City”, in The Journal of Urban History (Sage, 2015).
- “Of Cultural Diplomacy and ‘Culture Games’: Curating Non-Western Art,” in ArtMargines (MIT Press, 2014).
- “Weapons of the Resilient: A Postscript to ‘She Who Tells a Story: Women Photographers from Iran and the Arab World,’” in Jadaliyya (2014).
- “Old Sites, New Frontiers: Contemporary Architecture in Iran,” in A Critical History of Contemporary Architecture, edited by Ellie Haddad and David Rifkind (Ashgate, 2014).
- “Secular Dometicities, Shiite Modernities: Khomeini’s Illustrated Tawzih-al Masai’l,” in Rhetoric of the Image: Visual Culture in the Modern Middle East, edited by Christiane Gruber and Sune Haugbølle (Indiana University Press, 2013).
- “Dwelling, Dispute, and the Space of Modern Iran,” in Governing by Design: Architecture and Crisis from Modernization to Sustainability, edited by Arindam Dutta, Daniel Abramson, and Timothy Hyde (Pittsburgh University Press, 2012).
- “The Politics and Poetics of the Child Image in Modern Muslim Contexts,” in Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Vol. 32. No. 2 (Duke University Press, 2012 | with Christiane Gruber).
- “Imagining Warfare, Imaging Welfare: Tehran's Post Iran-Iraq War Murals and their Legacy,” in Persica: Uitgave van het Genootschap Nederland-Iran (Brill, 2008).
- “Women, Gender, and Urban Built Environments in Iran,” in Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. Vol. IV (Brill, 2006).
- Iran Heritage Foundation Fellowship. London Middle East Institute at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, January 2015-June 2015.
- Green Award for a Faculty Member, UMass Dartmouth, April 2014.
- The UMASS President's Creative Economy Initiatives Fund (with Thomas Stubblefield and Michael Swartz), 2012 and 2016.
- Shortlisted for the Susan and Donald Newhouse External Faculty Fellowship, Wellesley College, 2011 and 2016.
- Honorable Mention Citation, Best Ph.D. Dissertation of the Year on a Topic of Iranian Studies, Foundation for Iranian Studies, 2010.
- The Scott Opler Grant for Emerging Professionals, the Society of Architectural Historians, 2010.
- American Council of Learned Societies, 2008- 2009.
- American Association of University Women Educational Foundation, 2007-2008.
- Social Science Research Council, International Dissertation Field Research Fellowship, 2006- 2007.
Selected Professional Service to the Field
- Board Member of The Association of Modern and Contemporary Art of the Arab World, Iran, and Turkey (Fall 2014-) and Aggregate Architectural History Collaborative (co-founder).
- External Academic Reviewer since 2010: Choice Reviews; Home Cultures; Cities; The Getty Research Journal; Journal of Planning History; Grey Room; International Iranian Studies Conference; British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies; The International Journal of Iranian Studies; Lit Verlag Publishers; Oxford University Press.
- Contributing editor, International Journal of Islamic Architecture (Spring 2012-Summer 2014).
- Faculty Reviewer, MIT/Berkeley Dissertation Workshop at Shangri La, Doris Duke Foundation. Honolulu, HI (2013).
- Academic Reviewer for the Graham Foundation Fellowships (2012); the Social Science Research Council (2012-2016); Ford Foundation Fellowships (Spring 2011-2016).
- Editor-in-chief of H-AMCA listserv: An online network for members of the Association for Modern and Contemporary Art of the Arab World, Iran, and Turkey (2011-2013)