This degree is offered in two options: as a 100% online degree, or as an on-campus degree completion program for returning mid-career students.
The On-campus B.S. in General Business Administration (GBA) is designed for mid-career students returning to college to complete their undergraduate degree. We generally encourage such students to complete a degree in a specific discipline, but recognize that this doesn't suit some mature students. To enroll in the On-campus GBA program, application must meet the following requirements.
- Must be applying for admission to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and bringing in a minimum of 45 transfer credits completed elsewhere. Must possess significant full-time professional work experience away from college.
- Must meet the minimum transfer credit requirement and/or be a returning student who has been away from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth for five years or more. Those who lack the minimum 45 hours of transfer credit are encouraged to take courses at a Community College (though with no guarantee of admission to the GBA program).
- Submit a short essay explaining why you seek the GBA instead of a degree in a specific discipline. The essay should also describe the kinds of upper-level business courses you intend to take.
Internships generally take place in your junior or senior year after you have declared a major. Charlton students have internships in virtually every field of business, as well as healthcare, government and nonprofit organizations.
Degree requirements & courses
The GBA curriculum prepares you for a career in general management. You'll be ready to evaluate an organization's objectives, analyze its internal and external environments, and create effective management strategies and tactics to achieve an organization's goals.
You gain proficiency in:
- management of the functional areas of business
- analysis of business processes using the skills necessary to improve their efficiency and effectiveness
- strategic operations across diverse and fluid business environments
- policies, procedures and systems that effectively enhance individuals and the organization in which they work
For the BS in business administration (BSBA), you'll complete the remaining credit hours in business courses to graduate with 120 credits overall.
The Charlton College of Business understands that the world of tomorrow will be built by the students in our classes now, students like you.
- Acushnet Company
- Fidelity Investments
- State Street
- Gain hands-on work experience through Charlton's internship programs
- Consult with faculty and career advisors to identify where you want to go in your career—and how to get there
- Put your knowledge into action with student organizations such as DECA
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills
- Benefit from advanced management and leadership education through Charlton's 30-credit MBA program for business majors
- Fine tune your business education to acquire the skills necessary to enter and advance in the growing field of healthcare by pursuing the 30-credit MS in Healthcare Management
- Integrate advanced management study with a law school education through the joint MBA/JD program with UMass Law
Transfer credits or earn your degree completely online.