|Offered as: ||
Advance your career with Charlton’s Master of Science in Accounting (MSA). The MSA offers the professional development that will position you as a leader in the accounting field while maximizing your earnings potential.
If you have your bachelor’s degree in accounting, pursuing the MSA offers the academic preparation and practical skills that will lead to career success.
For non-accounting graduates, the MSA provides the opportunity to transition to rewarding careers in accounting and related professions.
CPA, CMA, and other accounting certifications
If you are pursuing the CPA designation, the MSA program will help you meet the 150-credit rule that has been adopted by all states. The program offers courses that are consistent with the content specifications of the CPA and Certified Management Accounting (CMA) exams and topics. The program will also provide excellent preparation for other valuable accounting-related professional certifications such as the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Financial Planner (CFP), and Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
Program requirements vary, depending on whether you begin the MSA with a bachelor's degree in accounting, a business degree, or a degree in another field.
With a bachelor's in accounting:
- 7 required courses
- 3 elective courses
With a bachelor's in business:
- 9 required courses
- 2 elective courses
With a bachelor's in another field:
Selected MS Accounting courses
- ACT 650 Accounting for Decision Making
- ACT 670 Financial Statement Analysis and Firm Valuation
- ACT 671 Strategic Cost Management
- ACT 672 International Accounting
- ACT 673 Government and Non-profit Accounting
- ACT 680 Forensic Accounting
- ACT 681 Advanced Managerial Accounting
- MGT 600 Corporate Social Responsibility and Law
- MIS 650 Information Technology Management
- FIN 650 Finance for Decision Making
Course descriptions, schedules and requirements
- Maximum flexibility with online, blended, and face-to-face delivery formats
- Offers three tracks of graduate accounting education for students with different accounting and business backgrounds
- Provides high value and high quality
- Taught by leading scholars supplemented by a cadre of seasoned practitioners
- Opportunities for networking and dialogue with other professionals and faculty
University requirements for graduate admissions
- Submit an application via the online portal. Be sure to provide your full legal name and to capitalize the first letter of all proper nouns.
- Pay non-refundable $60 application fee (American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa) via the online portal. For Nursing applicants, the non-refundable application fee is $75.
- Statement of Purpose, minimum 300 words. Unless otherwise indicated in the program requirement details, indicate your graduate study objectives, research interests and experience, and business or industry experience if applicable. If you are applying for a teaching or research assistantship, include any special skills or experience that would assist us in making assistantship decisions.
- Transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless of whether a credential is earned or not). Unofficial transcripts are accepted for admissions application review, once enrolled a final official transcript is required. International students applying for Data Science must submit semester-by-semester transcripts as well as consolidated transcripts.
- Many programs have specific recommendations/requirements, please see the additional program-specific requirements for more information.
- International students: official TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson PTE or Duolingo (if accepted by program) score. Unofficial scores are accepted for admissions application review, once enrolled official scores are required and must be sent by the testing agency (copies/scans not accepted). This is required of any applicant who did not earn a bachelor’s degree or higher degree from an accredited academic institution in the U.S. or accepted English-speaking country, see exemptions for more details. The Duolingo test is not accepted for the following programs: Art Education, Biology/Marine Biology, Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies & Theory, Marine Science and Technology (MS, PSM, PhD), Nursing (MS, DNP, PhD), Portuguese Studies, Professional Writing and Communication, Psychology (ABA, Clinical, Research), and Public Policy.
Candidates must submit the required application materials, university requirements and program-specific requirements, for consideration.
- GMAT is currently being waived.
- 1 letter of recommendation: preferably from a faculty member or an employer. Applicants will be required to provide the recommenders name and email address so we can contact the recommender for the letter of recommendation.
We offer the option to earn your master's degree in a 100% online program. Learn more: MS in Accounting online.