Major in mechanical engineering
Mechanical engineers work on the design, analysis, production, and operation of mechanical and thermal systems, including tools, engines, and machines.
You will be prepared to work in a diverse range of careers including aerospace, manufacturing, robotics, biomedical, product design, energy, sustainable development, scientific research, defense, and the military.
Growing opportunities are available for mechanical engineers in cutting-edge medical research, new energy resources, novel material design, and robotics applications. Encompassing a wide range of fields, mechanical engineering includes the study of energy transformations, manufacturing, mechanical systems, material science, and systems control.
The Mechanical Engineering department also offers a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering with a concentration in manufacturing: the transformation of raw materials into useful products through the use of the most effective methods.
Our program emphasizes hands-on education by providing small lab sections and lab and computer facilities dedicated to undergraduate teaching. Courses include manufacturing, materials science, design, fluid mechanics, control theory, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and robotics.
Your coursework will culminate with a senior capstone project that will allow you to solve real-life engineering problems.
For the BS degree, you will complete 72 credits in general and mechanical engineering with 123 credits overall.
The department offers a BS degree in mechanical engineering with a concentration in manufacturing: the transformation of raw materials into useful products through the most effective methods.
Manufacturing engineers determine the equipment, tools, and processes required to convert the design of a product into reality. They apply analytical skills to discover the optimal combination of machinery, materials, and methods needed to keep production costs and time low.
With the minor in mechanical engineering, you have the option to specialize in controls, design, manufacturing, and thermal sciences—or you may choose an open path of studies. For the minor, you will need to complete 20 to 22 credits.
Median starting salary for mechanical engineering majors, class of 2022:
NACE AY 2022 NACE Data Collection of Undergraduate Alumni
- Capstone projects: most senior engineering students work in small teams on real-world, industry-specific challenges that demand analysis, proposals, prototypes, and solutions.
- Experience: participate in co-op and internship programs to gain valuable experience with regional industries, often while also earning money for college.
- Community: join organizations such as the Society of Women Engineers, the National Society of Black Engineers, and Engineers Without Borders.
- New initiatives: collaborate, create, and explore at the Center for Scientific Computing and Visualization Research.
Expand your opportunities
- Accelerated BS/MS Program: Qualified undergraduates in mechanical engineering may enroll in the accelerated BS/MS program and complete both degrees within five years
- MS in Mechanical Engineering: Provides advanced education enabling students to solve complex engineering problems
- PhD Program in Engineering & Applied Science: Emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of modern research at the interfaces of engineering, the applied sciences, and technology.