Application Information (Ph.D.)
Application Requirements - PhD Integrative Biology
Although Biology graduate students typically have an undergraduate degree in biology, we encourage persons from other disciplines with a strong biology emphasis and interest to apply. A MS degree is not required to enter the Ph.D. program. In any of the programs, a strong applicant will have a solid knowledge of chemistry, physics and biology (e.g. cellular, molecular, evolutionary and organismal). Before applying to the programs, it is highly recommended that you contact the Biology faculty member(s) with whom you are interested in studying to discuss project possibilities.
- Official transcripts
- GRE General Test Scores (the Biology subject test is recommended but not required)
- TOEFL for non-native English language speakers
- Statement of Purpose indicating your specific biological interests and goals, reasons for applying to the program, and the Biology faculty member(s) with whom you are interested in studying. (1-2 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Application fee
- Some faculty members are able to offer Research Assistantships, depending on their current funding. Please consult with the faculty member.
- A limited number of Teaching Assistantships are also available. To be considered for a Teaching Assistantship, all completed application materials must be received by the Office of Graduate Studies no later than January 15th.
- UMassD Graduate Studies also offers a limited number of Doctoral Degree Fellowships (please see the Graduate Studies website for more information)
For more information
Dr. Whitney Hable
Graduate Program Director
Applications may be submitted:
Online at umassd.edu/graduate
By mail to: Office of Graduate Studies, UMass Dartmouth, 285 Old Westport Rd, Dartmouth, MA 02747