Student Employment

This information is important to know about student employment and will be reviewed at International Student Orientation.

  • Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are generally permitted to work part-time on campus while they are attending UMass Dartmouth and maintaining their full-time student status  
  • In some instances, students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are permitted to work off-campus  
  • Each kind of employment has its own regulations and limits (for example, no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session)
  • There are campus employment procedures that must be followed to obtain required paperwork and permission

Please see the links in this section which explain the regulations and procedures in more detail.  Please ask questions about anything you don't understand.  Not following the regulations for international student employment can have serious consequences for your study and your visa status.

A Note about Social Security Numbers, When to Use Them, and How to Protect Them

  • You will need to apply for and receive a Social Security Number from the U.S. Social Security Administration in order to work at the University.
  • Information about obtaining a Social Security Number is available at the International Student & Scholar Center and on the ISSC website
  • You may also visit the link below  

Applying for a Social Security Number-SSN  

Will I pay Social Security taxes? (scroll to the bottom of the linked page.)

In the U.S. your Social Security Number is used in many different kinds of record-keeping systems, so it is important to keep it private and give it only to organizations and persons who are authorized to ask you for it.  Please review this helpful summary on protecting your Social Security number.




Updated 05/25/2017