Our mission: effective faculty development
The Office of Faculty Development (OFD) supports the professional development of junior, mid-career, and senior faculty to achieve success, productivity, and satisfaction at each stage of their academic careers.
Based on a recommendation from the university's strategic plan, the OFD brings together all the university's faculty development programs and initiatives under the direction of one office to ensure effective faculty development.
The OFD believes that teaching, scholarship, and service have common threads: inquiry, problem solving, and information sharing. The OFD aims to produce programming that reflects these interconnections while recognizing that the productivity and success of the individual faculty member cannot be achieved in isolation from the development of the academic community of UMass Dartmouth.
What the Office of Faculty Development offers
- A range of evidence-based programming—open dialogues, “lunch and learn” teaching workshops, a “Tour My Course” program, faculty reading groups, a Share Your Research series—intended to discuss individual pedagogies, implement new strategies for teaching and learning, and foster productive, impactful research and scholarship
- Multimedia resources on teaching and scholarship produced by UMassD faculty on a range of topics
- Funding opportunities, including grants and fellowships, to assist faculty with scholarship and teaching development
- New Faculty Institute, a yearlong colloquium for all newly hired full-time faculty
- In cooperation with CITS Instructional Development, a “New Approaches to Teaching and Learning” conference every January
- Individual consultations with OFD staff to discuss any aspect of teaching and scholarship
- Opportunities for dialogue about inclusive and equitable teaching at UMassD