Kristen Sethares, PhD she/her/hers
College of Nursing & Health Sciences / Adult
|1993||University of Massachusetts Boston||MSN|
|1987||University of Massachusetts Dartmouth||BS|
- Nursing research
- Quantitative research methods
- Nursing intervention development
- Honors thesis writing
Preparation for Honors thesis or project. Students should take this seminar no later than the semester BEFORE they plan to begin work on the project. The course explores topics such as creative and critical thinking, project and time management, research ethics, and public presentation. By the end of the semester, students will identify their project supervisor and submit their initial project proposal.
Apply advanced strategies for selecting and evaluating various research designs used to investigate nursing phenomena. Emphasis is on sampling strategies, instrumentation, data collection methods, data analysis techniques and interpretation of findings. Critically examine scientific rigor and ethical concerns related to research with human subjects.
Online and Continuing Education Courses
Introduction to theoretical & evidence-based approaches to nursing education. Pedagogical methods are explored to develop student critical thinking & clinical competence in the role of nurse educator in a variety of settings. Emphasis is placed on assessing learning needs, educational planning, instructional design, teaching strategies, test construction and evaluation based on theoretical & empirical knowledge.
Register for this course.
- Assessment of research needs of American Association of Heart Failure Nurses members
- Dyadic intervention to promote health in HTN patients
- Promoting self-regulated learning in undergraduate nursing students
- Self-care of chronic illness and heart failure
- Self-regulated learning strategies
- Health literacy in older adults
- Learning styles
- Symptom clusters in chronic illness
- Sethares, K.A., & Asselin, M.E. (2022).
Use of exam wrapper metacognitive strategy to promote student self-assessment of learning: An integrative review.
Nurse Educator, 37-41
- Sethares, K. A., & Chin, E. (2021).
Age and gender differences in physical heart failure symptom clusters.
Heart & Lung, 50(6), 832-837.
- Wareing, S., Sethares, K.A., Chin, E.D., & Ayotte, B.J. (2021).
Entry and passage variables associated with nursing home adjustment in elders with dementia.
Geriatric Nursing, 42, 1084-1092.
- Walsh, J.A., & Sethares, K.A. (2022).
The use of guided reflection in simulation-based education with prelicensure baccalaureate nursing students
Journal of Nursing Education, 61(2), 73-79.
- Sabo, K.K., Chin, E.D., Sethares, K.A., Revell, S.H., & Nicholas, P. (2022).
Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of primary healthcare providers with assessing and supporting older informal caregivers.
Geriatric Nursing, 44, 159-166.