UMass Dartmouth offers individuals the chance to enroll in graduate courses, as Non-Degree Special Students, without applying for admission to a graduate program. Non-degree students who later become graduate degree candidates will receive credit for the non-degree graduate courses if completed successfully and suitable for the graduate program. Most programs limit the number of non-degree credits a student may use toward a degree.
When to register:
Non-degree special students may register after the conclusion of the registration period offered to regular students. That date falls on approximately December 1 for upcoming Spring classes and May 15 for upcoming Fall classes.
How to register for a class as a Non-Degree Special Student:
- Download a Non-Degree Special Student registration form (PDF).
- Consult the Office of Graduate Studies & Admissions or the relevant Graduate Program Director, as appropriate.
- Select your course (see course listings Full course listings and Online & Continuing Education course listings).
- Fill in the form and get the required signature; it may be most effective to take it to the first class to talk to the instructor.
- If you have sufficient background to enroll and there is room in the course, the instructor will sign the form.
- Take the signed form to the One Stop Enrollment Center in the lobby of the Foster Administration Building, and register by paying the tuition and fees.
Enrolling in a graduate class as a non-degree student requires permission of the instructor and/or the director of the specific graduate program. Each department has different procedures, so you might first consult the Office of Graduate Studies & Admissions at 508.999.8604. If you are considering taking a sequence of graduate courses in a certain academic area, it is best to get the advice of the Graduate Program Director.