Once you arrive on campus
Report to the ISSC as a new student
All new international students on an F-1 or J-1 visa must “check in” at the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) upon arrival to campus. We are located in Pine Dale Hall, Suite 7123. Bring your UMass Pass (Student Identification Card) or make sure you have your UMass Dartmouth log in information. At the ISSC, you will complete a New International Student Document Check eForm (electronic form) to report your physical presence at the University. Immediately after “checking in” at the ISSC, you will receive an email requiring you to upload to the Document Check eForm certain documents in your electronic file with Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Below are samples of the forms that you will find in your own CBP files:
The email will also require you to update your local US address in your COIN account and enter emergency contact information in your COIN account,
Arrange for temporary or permanent housing
- Unpack and settle everything in your room.
- Visit the supermarkets nearby for purchasing any needs -see below.
- Visit the health center and get your insurance card.
Attend the International Student Orientation
- Bring your campus map and walk around the whole school; find your classrooms.
- Research information about getting a Social Security Number and getting a job on campus, etc.
Login to student portal
- Login to myUMassD
- Do you need to enroll in classes, or are you already enrolled?
- Do you need an appointment with your academic advisor before enrolling?
- Use COIN to find your advisor's name and location!
- Purchase your textbooks and school supplies in the Campus Store.
When you have some free time
- Visit the Library or the Fitness Center.
- Research getting a driver's license.
- Join some school organizations or clubs and be involved in the campus life.
- Convert metric measurements (including the outside temperature!) to the American standard units of measurement.
- Find out what's going on at UMass Dartmouth and in the surrounding communities.
- Read up on everything Massachusetts has to offer.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. We will try to reply quickly!
There is another supermarket called Stop & Shop just past the Dartmouth Mall. The local bus route 9 that stops on campus goes to the Dartmouth Mall; and the Retail Loop shuttle makes a stop directly at Stop & Shop. While Wal-Mart and Target have some food and other supplies as well, Stop & Shop is a large grocery store with a much greater variety of food options. Students who have a kitchen can go there to buy ingredients.
Target, Walmart, and Stop & Shop all sell products for personal daily needs; however, the closest one is Target. You can even walk to Target from campus in about 15 minutes, depending on where your dorm is located.
Textbooks and most school supplies can be found in our Campus Store. Target and Walmart also sell all kinds of school supplies, such as folders, pens, pencils, highlighters, etc.
If you have any questions about how to get to a particular store, please feel free to email or call us. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org; our phone number is 508-910-6633. We will be glad to assist you!