OFD workshops are developed and led by UMassD faculty for UMassD faculty. Workshops are interactive and collaborative: participants can share their experiences, pose questions, and hear from colleagues. A variety of workshop-based resources, including short video tutorials and helpful bibliographies, are housed in the Resources for Scholarship and Professional Activity and Resources for Teaching and Learning areas of our website.
In addition to the OFD’s regular offerings, faculty may also be interested in the workshops offered through CITS Instructional Development on a range of topics dedicated to online teaching and instructional technology.
Spring 2023 offerings
The OFD encourages in-person attendance for those who are on campus and able to participate. We will continue to offer hybrid programming as well. Please register for workshops by emailing Ellen Mandly at firstname.lastname@example.org and please declare your modality preference (virtual or in-person) when registering. Lunch will be available for all in-person participants.
- Opening Dialogue: Cultivating "Compassionate Challenge": Wednesday, January 25, 11-12.
- Welcome Back Lunch: Wednesday, January 25. 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Small Teaching: Wednesday, February 1. 3-4:30 p.m.
- My Worst Class Ever!: Monday, February 6. 1-2 p.m.
- A Guide to Copyright and Fair Use: Wednesday, February 8. 12-1 p.m.
- Contemplative Pedagogy Faculty Learning Community: Friday, February 10. 12-1:15 p.m.
- Tour My Course: Design Heuristics for MyCourses: Tuesday, February 28, 2-3 p.m.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Writing: A Dialogue: Tuesday, March 14, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Contemplative Pedagogy Faculty Learning Community: Friday, March 17. 12-1:15 p.m.
- Facilitating Group Projects. Wednesday, March 22. 3:30-3:45.
- Using Social Media for Publication Impact: Tuesday, March 28. 2-3 p.m.
- Securing a Book Contract. Wednesday, March 29. 11-12.
- Providing Audio/Visual Feedback in MyCourses: Tuesday, April 4. 2-2:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Collaborative Online International Learning: Wednesday, April 5. 1-2 p.m.
- Contemplative Pedagogy Faculty Learning Community: Friday, April 7. 12-1:15 p.m.
- Assessing Student Work in Multiple Modalities: Monday, April 10, 1-2 p.m.
Fall 2022 offerings
- Welcome Back Lunch: Wednesday, September 7. 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Being There: What Do We Mean and Value by Attendance: Thursday, September 15. 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Teaching with Collaborative Worksheets: Monday, September 19. 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- Contemplative Pedagogy Faculty Learning Community: Thursday, September 22. 12:30-1:45 p.m.
- Writing Grant Proposals: Process, Resources, Supports. Monday, September 26. 12:00-1:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Promoting Student Agency in Research: Tuesday, September 27. 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Blended Teaching and Learning Workshop, part 1: Wednesday, September 28. 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- Responding to Survivors of Sexual Violence: Thursday, September 29. 12:30-1:45 p.m.
- Stop Doing Assessment! Wednesday, October 5. 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- What I Learned from My Worst Class Ever: Thursday, October 6. 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Applying for Fulbrights: Tuesday, October 18. 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Creating Collaborations in Teaching and Research: Wednesday, October 19. 1:00-2:30 p.m.
- Afternoon Writing Retreat: Tuesday, October 25. 12:00-5:00 p.m.
- Blended Teaching and Learning Workshop, part 2: Wednesday, October 26. 12-1 p.m.
- OER (Open Educational Resources) 101: Wednesday, October 26. 1:00-2:00 p.m.
- SafeZone Training for Faculty: Thursday, November 3. 12:30-1:45 p.m.
- Teaching without Technology: Tuesday, November 8. 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Getting that Revise and Resubmit into Print: Monday, November 14. 12-1 p.m.
- Blended Teaching and Learning Workshop, part 3: Wednesday, November 30. 12-1 p.m.