Skip to main content.

Requirements for reinstatement to F-1 visa status


If you have been dismissed from the University for any reason, you may not be eligible for reinstatement through UMass Dartmouth.  Please consult with the ISSC before proceeding.

General information about reinstatement

Students with potential status violations must make an appointment with the ISSC staff to aquire information about the situation.  

Students in the F-1 visa category who fail to maintain their student status in the United States may consider a reinstatement application to F-1 student status. 

Students may fall out of status for many different reasons including but not limited to: failure to enroll, failure to maintain academic progress, unauthorized part-time enrollment, and so on.  The SEVIS record of a student who has fallen out of status must be terminated and the reason must be recorded.  A student who is “out of status” is not eligible for any benefits of the F-1 status.

Please Note

If you are dismissed from the University for any reason, you may not be eligible for reinstatement through UMass Dartmouth.  Please consult with the ISSC before proceeding.

Application procedures and materials

It is your decision to review and select an option listed below to request or attempt to regain F-1 status. You may decide to seek legal counsel from an experienced immigration attorney as you consider these options and the impact on your particular situation.  The ISSC provides information but cannot give legal advice.

  • You can apply to USCIS for reinstatement by submitting a paper application (I-539 Application to Extend/Change Immigrant Status) through the U.S. Postal Service. Please note: the fee for filing Form I-539 is currently $370.00
  • You can leave the U.S. and attempt to return with a new I-20. Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen