Skip to main content.

Degree Students

This page explains why some J-1 visa students are in the category of degree-seeking.

Certain J-1 students apply through regular undergraduate or graduate admissions, are accepted to one of the degree programs here, and receive a diploma from UMass Dartmouth after successfully completing the program. 

Examples of international students who are admitted to a formal degree program at UMass Dartmouth are:

  • Students sponsored by their home governments for undergraduate or graduate study;
  • Students sponsored by the Fulbright organization 

Requirements for degree-seeking status

  • Must be working toward a degree from a formally-defined program
  • Must be enrolled full-time in that program
  • Must remain in good academic standing 

Contact the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) if you have any questions about these requirements.  

Academic advising for degree students

All degree students receive academic advising from a faculty member.  Degree-seeking students and Fulbright students are assigned to a faculty adviser by their academic department.  

Non-academic advising for degree students

The ISSC can refer you to the appropriate University office for issues outside of your academic program.  The ISSC invites J-1 students in degree programs to use us as an on-campus resource in addition to the agency that issued your DS-2019 form. Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen