Skip to main content.

J-1 Family Information

Dependent family members

If you will be bringing dependent family members (spouse/children) to UMass Dartmouth with you, please notify us immediately.  The information below will help prepare for their visit:

Who are your dependent family members?

  • Spouses and unmarried children under 21 
    • Not household servants 
    • Not parents or siblings

What's required to bring them to the U.S.?

  • Proof of sufficient funds to provide for their living expenses while in the U.S.; please use this .
  • Information for each family member; please give us
    • The full name
    • Date and place of birth
    • Country of citizenship
    • Relationship to you
  • A Form DS-2019 in their names to use in applying for the J-2 visa
  • Our office will prepare this form once we have the necessary information.

What about work and study for dependent family members?

  • Your J-2 family can study part-time or full-time in the U.S.
  • Your J-2 family may apply for permission to work in the U.S.; please consult with the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) for further information.

Other Relatives

A family member who is not a minor child or spouse and wants to visit the U.S. may request a B-2 tourist visa.  The application process is explained on the U.S. Department of State website.  The ISSC can give you a Family Visit letter to assist the family member in obtaining this visa.

Special requirements for children

  • Any child of 6 years old or older must attend school and may begin as early as age 5.
    • The public schools in Dartmouth and nearby are free of charge and of good quality
  • School-age children must bring
    • Certified copies of birth certificate
    • Record of the immunizations can be obtained from doctors in the area, but you must pay for these and the costs are high.
  • School records, in English, if possible; you can also translate for school officials

Health Insurance & Health Care

You must add your dependents to your health insurance policy.  Please see this additional information on J-1 Health Insurance. Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen