Skip to main content.

Family Information

J-1 scholars and interns may bring their spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as dependents. Each of these dependents will need a dependent DS-2019 and to apply for a J-2 visa.

You must add your dependents to your health insurance policy.  Please see this additional information on J-1 Health Insurance Health Insurance.

J-2 dependents are allowed to legally remain in the U.S. while the J-1 visa holder has a valid status.  J-2 dependents can study in the U.S. (full-time and part-time) and may apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for work permission.  Please consult the ISSC for further information about employment authorization for J-2 family members.

A J-1 visa holder’s family member who is not a minor child or spouse and wants to visit the U.S. may request a B-2 tourist visa.  The application process is explained on the U.S. Department of State website. The ISSC may provide you a letter to assist the family member in obtaining this visa. Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen