Skip to main content.

Other topics for J-1 student interns


Student interns are usually paid by UMass Dartmouth, by the department or college to which they are assigned.

Student interns must have at least a specified minimum of money available per month US for living expenses in addition to health care and travel costs. Proof of funding will be requested as part of the hiring process, and later during the visa application process.

Two-Year Rule

Some J-1 student interns are subject to the U.S. Department of State two-year home country physical presence requirement. This means that they may not change to certain other U.S. visa types (H, L, K, or lawful permanent resident (LPR)) but must instead return to their home country for at least two years or apply for a waiver of the requirement.

  • As a J-1 student intern, you will be subject to the two-year home-country requirement if your field of study is funded by either your home government or the U.S. government, or if it involves specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary to your home country.

There are many aspects to determining whether someone is subject to the two-year rule, so we strongly recommend that you ask an international adviser for help with this question.

More information about J-1 visas and the two-year home residence requirement can be found at the Department of State J-1 Visa Website, or by contacting the ISSC.  

Grace Period

A J-1 student intern may remain in the U.S. for an additional 30 days after the conclusion of the appointment contract. This time may be used for travel or tourism in the U.S. only. 

J-2 Dependents

J-1 student interns may bring their spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as dependents. Each of these dependents will need a dependent DS-2019 and to apply for a J-2 visa.

  • J-2 dependents are allowed to legally remain in the U.S. while the J-1 visa holder has a valid status.
  • J-2 dependents can study in the U.S. (full-time and part-time)
  • J-2 dependents may apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for work permission  

Please consult the ISSC for further information about employment authorization for J-2 family members.

A J-1 visa holder’s family member who is not a minor child or spouse and wants to visit the U.S. may request a B-2 tourist visa.  The application process is explained on the U.S. Department of State website. The ISSC may provide you a letter to assist the family member in obtaining this visa.

Temporary Absence from the U.S.

To travel outside the U.S. during your appointment period, please make sure that

  • the DS-2019 has been signed for travel by the ISSC 
  • the entry visa in your passport will still be valid by the date of your return

If you are not certain whether you have obtained such a signature or whether the signature you have is up to date, please check with the ISSC. Your DS 2019 is usually signed during the check-in process at the ISSC, after you arrive at UMass Dartmouth.

Please give us sufficient advance notice! Three officials on campus are authorized to sign on your DS-2019, and one must be available to give you a signature. Please e-mail Pat Mooney at or the ISSC at

Contact us immediately if you have an emergency situation requiring you to leave the U.S. temporarily. Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen