Health Insurance

New U.S. Department of State insurance requirements for J-1 exchange visitors took effect May 15, 2015.  This table shows the newly-approved requirements.  All J-1 visa holders and their dependents (J-2 visa holders) must have health insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State minimum requirements.  See this helpful summary.  Highlights of these requirements, under the Code of Federal Regulations (22 CFR 62.14) are:


New Requirements (effective 05/15/2015)  

Medical benefits


Repatriation of remains


Medical evacuation


Deductible per accident or illness

$500 maximum

Under the new requirements, we are also asked to inform J-1 exchange visitors that they and any accompanying family may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act [22 CFR 62.14(a)].  More information will be provided on this part of the new requirements.

Massachusetts State Requirements:

In addition to the U.S. Department of State requirement, J-1 exchange students who are degree-seeking students must also meet the Massachusetts health insurance minimum requirements.  UMass provides such health insurance which must be purchased by J-1 degree-seeking students.  More information about it can be found at the University Health Plans, Inc. website.

All J-1 visa holders must complete the Health Insurance Compliance Form, sign it, and return it to the ISSC.

J Visa Category

Must Meet Department        Of State Requirements

Must Meet Massachusetts Requirements

Health Insurance

J-1 Degree Seeking Students



UHP, Inc.

J-1 Fulbright Students



Fulbright or UHP, Inc.

J-1 Non-Degree Seeking Students



Home insurance* or UHP, Inc.





J-2 dependents

Must fulfill the same requirements of the family member holding a J-1 visa

*IMPORTANT NOTICE: When a non-degree student chooses to have an insurance policy based in the home country, some medical providers may require the student to make the full payment for services rendered and then seek reimbursement from the insurance.  In this case the student will be responsible for filing the paperwork directly with the insurance.


Updated 12/12/2016