Skip to main content.


Scholars may have the opportunity to travel during their time at UMass Dartmouth, both inside and outside the U.S. This may be leisure travel, for a vacation; or as part of your assigned work.

For information on dates for semester breaks and intersession, please see the Academic Calendar.

Here are some important things to remember about your immigration documents:  

  • Please give the ISSC at least two weeks' notice with travel/immigration documents, except in emergencies.
  • If you need to renew your entry visa, additional time will be required, since agencies outside the University will be involved.  Please see the ISSC staff for assistance. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RE-ENTER THE U.S. IN TOURIST STATUS.
  • See special concerns regarding renewal of visas subject to Administrative Processing/Security Clearance
  • If you have changed your status, you will need a new entry visa in the new status

What do I need when traveling inside the U.S. and returning?

When traveling locally--Dartmouth, Fall River, New Bedford--take copies of your documents with you.  See the Additional travel infirmation for other tips about copying your documents and keeping them safe.  Outside of the local area, you should carry a valid passport, your appointment letter or contract, and a current, original DS 2019 signed for travel.  Please check with the International Student & Scholar Center if you are not sure about the status of your documents.

What do I need when traveling outside the U.S. and returning?

Original documents

  • current, unexpired, passport, valid for six months beyond your date of return
  • current, unexpired entry visa
  • current appointment letter or contract

Valid DS 2019

  • travel signature up to date?
  • program end date on DS 2019 valid beyond your date of return?

Traveling to Canada

  • Citizens of some countries need visas to enter Canada, in addition to all your other paperwork for entering and studying in the U.S.
  • Even if you have an expired entry visa, you may still travel to Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent islands and return to the U.S. by using Automatic Revalidation, as long as the rest of your documentation is current and your visit to those places is not longer than 30 days.  Visit the Traveling To Canada link on the right.
  • IMPORTANT –  If you are planning to use Automatic Revalidation, please visit the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) so we can review your paperwork before you travel.  
  • Automatic Revalidation does not apply to citizens of Iran, Syria, and Sudan.  Check for updates to this list.
  • Students who have been denied a visa renewal at a U.S. Consulate in Canada are not eligible to use Automatic Revalidation, but must return to their home country.
  • Find Out If You Need a Visa
  • Visa Office in New York
  • It's All About Canada Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen