Skip to main content.

Other topics for J-1 scholars


J-1 research scholars or visiting professors can be paid by

  • UMass Dartmouth or
  • funds from another source, such as home institution or government or
  • personal funds.

 Proof of funding will be requested as part of the hiring process, and later during the visa application process. Scholars will need:

  • a specified minimum amount of money available per month in US dollars for living expenses
    • The amount will be specified on your DS 2019 form
  • health care coverage
    • Arrangements must be made before you leave your home country
  • funds for travel costs

Two-Year Rule

Some J-1 scholars are subject to the U.S. Department of State two-year home residence requirement. There are many aspects to determining whether someone is subject to the two-year rule, so we strongly recommend that you ask an international adviser for help with this question. 

As a J-1 scholar, you will be subject to the two-year home-country residency requirement if your work is funded by either your home government or the U.S. government, or if it involves specialized knowledge or skills important to your home country. Being subject to this requirement means

  • you are not eligible for certain other U.S. visa types (H, L, K, or lawful permanent resident (LPR)) but
  • you must instead return to your home country for at least two years or
  • you can apply for a waiver of the requirement. 
  • you may not change your nonimmigrant status within the United States (except for A, G, and U) but must leave the U.S. and re-enter in the new status, such as F-1, tourist, and so on; the two-year requirement still applies until met or waived.

Learn more about the two-year home residence requirement and whether it applies to you.  Additional information about J-1 visas can be found at the Department of State J-1 Visa Website, or by contacting the ISSC.  

J-2 Dependents

J-1 scholars may bring their spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as dependents. Each of these dependents will need a dependent DS-2019 and to apply for a J-2 visa.

What's allowed for J-2 dependents

  • J-2 dependents are allowed to legally remain in the U.S. while the J-1 visa holder has a valid status
  • J-2 dependents can study in the U.S. (full-time and part-time) and
  • J-2 dependents may apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for work permission.  Please consult the ISSC for further information about employment authorization for J-2 family members.

Other family members

A J-1 visa holder’s family member who is not a minor child or spouse and wants to visit the U.S. may request a B-2 tourist visa.  The application process is explained on the U.S. Department of State website. The ISSC may provide you a letter to assist the family member in obtaining this visa.

Temporary Absence from the U.S.

Contact us immediately if you have an emergency situation requiring you to leave the U.S. temporarily.

For routine travel, if scholars need to travel outside the U.S. during their appointment period, please make sure

  • that your DS-2019 has been signed for travel by the ISSC.  This signature is required to authorize your return to the U.S.  
    • Your DS 2019 is usually signed during the check-in process at the ISSC, after you arrive at UMass Dartmouth. 
  • that your entry visa stamp in your passport will be valid for six months beyond your date of return
  • that you give us sufficient advance notice to get your DS 2019 signed
    • Only two officials on campus are authorized to sign on your DS-2019, and one must be available to give you a signature. 

If you are not certain whether you have obtained such a signature or whether the signature you have is up to date, please check with the ISSC. Please e-mail Pat Mooney at or the ISSC at

Please also visit our Travel website for scholars.

Grace Period

A J-1 scholar may remain in the U.S. for an additional 30 days after the conclusion of the appointment contract.  This time may be used for travel or tourism in the U.S. only. Avoiding Immigration Scams

Back to top of screen