Skip to main content.

This page explains the funding requirements for eligibility for the J-1 student visa.

  • Full or partial funding from an institution, government, or from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
    • J-1 students must be supported significantly by other than personal or family funds.
    • F-1 status allows students to study here solely supported by personal or family funds, but this is not permissible under the J-1 visa.
  • Two sets of original documents that show proof of your funding award
    • The International Programs Office (IPO) or University Admissions Office will request original proof of funds as part of the admissions process.  
    • The International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) will request original proof of funds during the visa application process with our office.
Immigration Scams Avoiding Immigration Scams


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.