The information below describes the student intern selection and appointment process, and includes links to a checklist, instructions, and application form for gathering information needed to issue the DS-2019. Student interns use the DS-2019 to apply for the U.S. entry visa. Questions may be directed to the ISSC.
- student intern must be currently enrolled in and in good standing at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S.
- internship must fulfill educational objectives for the degree program at the home institution
- student must be able to speak English; this ability has to be verified through an interview, a test, or other documentation
- student must have enough money to cover expenses for the entire stay in the U.S.
- students are identified and selected by the sponsoring department/faculty member;
- faculty sponsor must complete the following procedures and submit forms to the ISSC for each student intern:
- Evidence of completed and approved University Honorific Appointment process
- J-1 Student Intern Selection Application Form (link below), including verification of English-speaking ability and funding
- DS 7002, Training/Internship Placement Plan (link below), including evaluation plan
- Email approval from Office of Export Control clearing the appointment
- Written evaluation at end of internship
- Please view these required forms and information below:
- J1 Intern Information and Instructions
- J1 Student Intern Application
- J1 Student Intern Application Checklist
- J1 Intern Certification of English Language Proficiency
- J1 Student Intern Evaluation Form
- DS 7002 and DS 7002 Sample Sample for guidance in completing original. Please transfer the information in the bottom three rows of Section 2 and the last box on Page 3 onto your original DS 7002 form.
- Please also view this J1 Student Intern Overview.