The information below describes the student intern selection and appointment process, and includes links to a checklist, instructions, and application form for information the ISSC uses to issue the DS-2019. Student interns use the DS-2019 and DS-7002 to apply for the U.S. entry visa. Questions may be directed to the ISSC.
- currently enrolled in and in good standing at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S.
- English-speaking ability verified through an interview, a test, or other documentation
- enough money to cover expenses for the entire stay in the U.S.
- internship must fulfill educational objectives for the degree program at the home institution
- Students are identified and selected by the sponsoring department/faculty member;
- Faculty sponsor must complete the following procedures and forms for each student intern:
Required forms and information
- J1 Student Intern Application
- Passport copy
- Visiting Scholar Certification of Language Proficiency
- DS 7002 and DS 7002 Sample for guidance in completing original. Please transfer the information in the bottom three rows of Section 2 and the last box on Page 3 onto DS 7002 form
Student intern appointments also must have
- Email approval from Office of Export Control clearing the appointment
- Written evaluation at end of internship: J1 Student Intern Evaluation Form