Post Admission Decision Questions

How do I find out if I have been awarded a Teaching or Research Assistantship?

Individual departments recommend students forTeaching and Research Assistantships. You should contact the appropriate Graduate Program Director immediately to inquire about your TA/RA decision status.

How do I re-apply to UMass Dartmouth?

In re-applying to UMass Dartmouth, students may re-use materials from the former application that are still current, but must submit any new or updated information and will be required to submit another application form with the $60 application fee. If you are applying to a different program than the one previously applied to, you will need also to submit a new Statement of Purpose, and you may find it advisable to submit new reference letters. If you have attended any other institutions, you will need to provide official transcripts from them.

I was denied admission and would like to know why. Whom do I contact?

The only person who can inform you of why you were not accepted is the Graduate Program Director. Your decision letter provides the name and telephone number of that individual.

How do I arrange to have my file re-evaluated?

The only person who can re-evaluate your file is the Graduate Program Director. Your decision letter provides the name and telephone number of that individual. You may contact that person to inquire about having your file reconsidered for admission. The Graduate Program Director can guide you as to next steps.

If the Graduate Program Director does not reconsider your file for the current semester, but recommends that you seek consideration again, you can reapply for the next semester/year.

My acceptance letter says that I am accepted conditionally. What does this mean?

In most cases, conditional acceptance means that you must take an additional course or courses offered here at UMass Dartmouth. You need to take the course or courses usually during your first semester of study -- and obtain the grade mentioned (if applicable). An exam may be required during the first semester. If you have any further questions about conditional acceptance requirement(s), contact the person who assigned the condition. Please refer to your acceptance letter and contact the Program Director who is carbon copied (cc: Name) at the bottom of the letter.

I am an international student who has been admitted to a program. When will I receive
my I-20?

We can only send the I-20 after you submit the gray confirmation card stating you will be attending UMass Dartmouth and your Declaration of Finance form to our office. Once these items are received and processed, we will forward your I-20 to you.

Can I defer my acceptance until a later time?

You are allowed to defer for a maximum of one year's time from when you were accepted. Therefore, for example, if you were accepted for the Spring 2010 semester, you can defer to either the Fall 2010 or Spring 2011 semesters. You do this by submitting written request to Graduate Admissions or emailing us at Please specify to which semester you wish to defer so that we may accurately process your request.

Is summer tuition waived for graduate students with summer assistantships?

No. Summer tuition is not waived for students with assistantships. However, summer academic charges are at a lower rate than during the academic year.