We’re seeking out qualified student leaders to build our dynamic team of Resident Assistants for the 2020-2021 academic year! Please read below carefully to learn more about the position and what you should expect to do in the recruitment process.
What is a Resident Assistant (RA)?
RAs represent Housing & Residential Education as key staff members in its day-to-day operations. As an RA, you’ll live in one of our residence halls and assist students with the transition to campus life. RAs have a variety of responsibilities and must be able to balance a multitude of roles including mentoring, building relationships, helping to solve problems, assisting in emergency situations, and supporting student academic success. Plus, you get to make some great friends along the way!
Step one: Attend a required Information Session:
- Wednesday, 10/30 @ 6:00pm Maple Ridge Dive
- Thursday, 10/31 @ 3:00pm Elmwood ACT Room
- Wednesday, 11/6 @ 12:00pm Campus Center Conference Room
- Friday, 11/8 @ 12:00pm Charlton College of Business 115
- Wednesday, 11/13 @ 8:00pm Woodland Commons Conference 1
- Thursday, 11/14 @ 12:00pm Campus Center Conference Room
- Friday, 11/15 @ 1:30pm Oak Glen Multipurpose Room
- Tuesday, 11/19 @ 6:00pm Chestnut Green Room
- Wednesday, 11/20 @ 2:00pm Dell South Community Center
- Wednesday, 11/20 @ 7:00pm Woodland Commons Conference 1
What should I bring?
All you need to bring is your ID and any questions you have about the position! We’ll have a couple handouts but encourage you to bring something to take notes if you need. This session will be led by a professional staff member with help from RA Staff. We’re excited to see you there!
After attending one information session:
- Complete Application through Student Housing Portal by December 13th, 2019 at noon.
- If you meet requirements, you will be invited to sign up for an individual interview and a group interview:
- Group Process Day will be Saturday, February 1st (snow day backup February 8th)
- Individual Interviews will be Monday, February 10th – Thursday, February 20th
- You will be notified of your hire status on March 2nd. Letters can be picked up in Oak Glen after 9 am.
Requirements upon Employment:
- Minimum 2.4 cumulative GPA
- Have no significant Code of Conduct violations
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at UMD at the time of employment (at least 12 credits for undergraduate students, 9 credits for graduate students)
- Complete one full academic semester at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth by January 1, 2020, including prior enrollment at the University.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Housing in your assigned area free of charge
- A board allowance (meal plan) based on your assigned area
- Each RA is paid for four hours of their RA Lead duty responsibilities each full month of the academic year (September, October, November, February, March, April)
- Ability to register for classes early.
Online RA Application:
- Log in to the UMassD portal at http://my.umassd.edu
- Click the "Student Resources" tab
- Click "Student Housing Information Portal (SHIP)
- Click through to where you have "Employment Opportunities" as an option and follow the instructions there. Good luck!
The application will go live after the first information session