Skip to main content.

Forms of identification for use on campus & in the U.S.

UMass Pass

UMass Pass is the official UMass Dartmouth identification card—the one card you'll need to carry on campus.


A valid passport, which shows your full name and date of birth, is always accepted as a form of identification anywhere in the U.S.

U.S. Driver's License

Any person who is at least 16 years of age may apply for a Massachusetts driver's permit and driver's license The license for driving a car and carrying passengers is called Class D/Passenger license. 

Please note that non-US citizens are not eligible for the new, multi-purpose Real ID.

 There are two ways to apply:

  • You can begin your application online, download the forms, and then visit a Registry office in person.
  • You can visit a Registry office and apply in person.

Identification documents required by the Registry:

  • For proof of Massachusetts residency, request our Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) Support Letter and be sure to use it within 60 days.
  • Not eligible for a Social Security Number? You may still apply for a U.S. driver's license. Bring our support letter and your passport, and request a Social Security Number Denial Letter at a nearby Social Security Office.  

  •  This RMV checklist will help you organize the other required identification documents.

Here is a summary of the steps, and if you are successful, you will be issued a Massachusettss Class D/Passenger Driver's License:

  • Pay the fees  (Approximately $85.00 usd)
  • Apply for a learner's permit
  • Take a written exam
  • Take a road test

To get started on your application, visit Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). 

 Registry of Motor Vehicles locations in Massachusetts

State ID Card

For people who do not have a Massachusetts driver's license, a Massachusetts ID can be issued from: Mass.govThis card does not extend any driving privileges.

International permits & licenses

International permits may only be issued in the driver's country of origin by automobile associations authorized to do so by an International Road Traffic Convention to which the U.S. is a party. International permits do not extend any driving privileges. 

International drivers' licenses are only recognized as valid by the RMV when issued by an entity authorized to issue such licenses in the driver's home country.  


Immigration Scams Avoiding Immigration Scams


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.