Skip to main content.

This page explains the requirements for on-campus employment for F-1 and J-1 visa students.  

Where do I find a job on campus?

  • in an academic or administrative department (undergraduates or graduate students) 
  • in your graduate program as a graduate assistant  
  • visit the Student Employment Office for further information about how to find a job on campus

International students (F-1, J-1, etc.) are not eligible for on-campus "work-study" employment, which is sponsored by the U.S. Federal Government.  

On-campus employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session but may be full time during vacations, semester break, and summer.

F-1 visa students

On-campus employment is allowed with F-1 status and does not require special permission.  So long as you remain in valid F-1 status and meet the requirements listed below, you may work on campus.  

  • You must be in good academic standing and remain enrolled full-time in your program of study
  • You must have a job offer 
  • You must complete the F-1 job offer form and bring it to the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) for signature before beginning the Social Security Number application process. 

Some pre-degree F-1 students in special programs such as the Navitas program are eligible to work only after they have completed the Navitas program requirements and matriculated into their degree programs.

J-1 visa students

If your J-1 visa is sponsored by an outside agency such as Fulbright, contact the Responsible Officer (RO) at your sponsoring agency for the required work permissions.  You do not need to demonstrate unforeseen economic necessity to receive this permission.

On-campus employment is allowed during J-1 status and requires permission of the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the University J-1 program.  You must meet the conditions listed below to obtain permission to work and to apply for a Social Security Number.  If you already have a Social Security Number (SSN) from a previous stay in the U.S., you will not have to reapply and can skip that step.  You must still prepare the J-1 Student Authorization form.  

  • You must be in good academic standing and remain full-time in your program of study. 
  • You must provide proof of an offer of employment by obtaining a Hiring Form from the department where you have been offered work.
  • Complete the J-1 student employment authorization letter; then
    • Bring the Hiring Form and J-1 Student Employment Authorization form to the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC)
  • If you need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN),
    • Also prepare and bring this J-1 Social Security letter for signature by the ISSC  to be used at the Social Security Office. 

Important information for both visa types

  • You will need to apply for and receive a Social Security Number from the U.S. Social Security Administration in order to work at the University. Information about obtaining a Social Security Number is available at the International Student & Scholar Center and at the ISSC website; you may also visit the link below.  
  • The information collected by Customs and Border Patrol as you entered the U.S. is transmitted electronically to the Social Security Administration and will be reviewed with your application.
  • You must be registered with SEVIS by the ISSC before you apply for a social security number.
  • You may not work after your F-1 or J-1 program is complete (for example, upon graduation, at the end of an authorized employment period such as post completion OPT or Academic Training, or completion of an exchange program).

Applying for a Social Security number

Employment Eligibility for Dependents

Dependents of F-1 visa holders, who hold the F-2 visa, may not work.

Dependents of J-1 visa holders, who hold the J-2 visa, may work in some circumstances, by application through the ISSC and approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Please consult the ISSC for help.  (See also J-1 Family Information.)

  • If the employment approval is granted,  the J-2 family member will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  See information about how to obtain a Social Security Number in the section above.



Immigration Updates Immigration Scams Avoiding Immigration Scams


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.