Length of Stay
Scholars and interns on a J-1 visa are admitted to the United States for a specific period of time called duration of status:
- D/S is marked on the scholar's entry visa and I-94 record upon arrival in the U.S.
- Duration of status means that the scholar or intern may legally remain in the United States as long as the J-1 status is valid:
- the DS-2019 is active (the ending date of the DS-2019 is a future date)
- the scholar or intern is meeting all the requirements of the appointment contract
- the scholar is obeying the J-1 regulations.
Term of Appointment
Scholar appointment procedures are governed by both the U.S. Department of State (DOS) regulations and by the University's policies on honorific and post-doctoral appointments:
- The shortest appointment allowed for student interns, professors, and research scholars is three weeks
- The longest appointment for a student intern program is twelve months
- the appointment may be extended to up to two years (under UMass Dartmouth’s Honorific Appointments Policy) upon permission of Department of State
- The longest appointment for professors and research scholars is five years; but
- note that UMass Dartmouth’s Policy on Honorific Appointments allows appointment of visiting scholars for a period of only one year
- renewal is not usually allowed
- The longest appointment for a short-term scholar is six months
- there is no minimum stay required
|Category||Minimum Duration of Participation||Maximum Duration of Participation||Extension Beyond Maximum Duration of Participation Permitted (Needs DOS approval)|
|Student Intern*||3 weeks||12 months||Yes|
|Professor**||3 weeks||5 years||No|
|Research Scholar**||3 weeks||5 years||No|
|Short-Term Scholar||N/A||6 months||No|
* Under the UMass Dartmouth’s Policy on Honorific Appointments a student intern appointment may last up to 2 years.
** Please note that, even though the maximum duration allowed professors and research scholars by the U.S. Dept. of State is 5 years, the UMass Dartmouth’s Policy on Honorific Appointments allows only 1 year and renewal is not usually allowed.