The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia for research students.
Want the chance to win $1,000 in just three minutes talking about your intellectual passion?
Participate in the Office of Undergraduate Research's Three Minute Thesis competition
- 1st prize: $1,000
- 2nd prize: $500
- 3rd prize: $250
- "People's Choice Award": $250
Undergraduate preliminary round—Tues, April 17 2:00-5:00
Graduate preliminary round—Wed, April 18 2:30-5:00
Finals (Undergraduate and Graduate)—Thurs, April 19 2-4 Library Grand Reading Room
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
At every level of the competition each competitor will be judged on several criteria. Judges use a standard 3MT Judging Sheet. Each criterion is equally weighted and has an emphasis on audience.