Following is a summary of the tuition benefits for UMass Dartmouth employees, spouses and dependents.
The tuition benefits apply only to full and part-time benefited employees. Where the term 'benefited employee' appears below it refers to an employee who is eligible for insurance benefits through the MA Group Insurance Commission ("GIC").
Eligibility for tuition benefits for benefited employees does vary by length of benefited service. The amount of the tuition credits also depends on the program of study (undergraduate, graduate or continuing education) and the benefited status (full-time or part-time).
Tuition BENEFITS at UMass campuses
- Benefited employees of the University of Massachusetts receive tuition benefits for undergraduate and graduate programs at all University of Massachusetts campuses, excluding the UMass Medical MD program and UMass School of Law. Tuition benefits are available at UMass campuses if the employee's benefited hire date is on or prior to the first day of classes.
- Online & Continuing Education classes at UMass Dartmouth*: UMass Dartmouth Eligible employees receive up to 100% tuition credit.
- Online & Continuing Education classes at other UMass campuses**: For continuing education classes taken at other UMass campuses, eligible employees receive up to 50% in tuition credit.
Spouses and eligible dependents
- Tuition benefits are available at UMass campuses for spouses and eligible dependents (under the age of 26) if the employee's benefited hire date is on or prior to the first day of classes. Employees who have completed two years of full-time benefited service or four years of part-time benefited service at any of the UMass campuses will receive additional credits off the tuition costs for their spouse and eligible dependents taking undergraduate courses at UMass (excluding on-line or continuing education courses).
- Online & Continuing Education classes at UMass Dartmouth*: Eligible spouses and dependents receive up to 100% tuition credit.
- Online & Continuing Education classes at other UMass campuses**: For continuing education classes taken at other UMass campuses, spouses and dependents of eligible employees receive up to 50% in tuition credit.
Tuition Waiver at other State Colleges / Universities**
Employees with six (6) months or more of full-time benefited service (or equivalent benefited part-time service) are eligible for tuition waiver at other Massachusetts public community or state colleges/universities. Please check with the other Massachusetts public college's student financial services or bursar's office for the tuition benefits which might be available.
* Specific cost inquiries should be directed to the UMass Dartmouth Bursar's Office.
** Other campuses should be contacted directly for their tuition policies, taxation and specific requirements.
Student Tuition Credits
Online & Continuing Education Courses are not included
|Current/Active University Employees (1)|
|Graduate Courses or Programs||100%|
|Undergraduate Courses of Programs||100%|
|Retired University Employees (2)||
|Spouses and Dependent Children of Current/Active University Employees|
|Graduate Courses or Programs||20%|
|Undergraduate Courses or Programs|
|University Employee w/ 2+ FTE Years of Service||60%|
|University Employee w/ < 2 FTE Years of Service||15%|
Spouses and Dependent Children of Retired University Employees (3)
Spouses and Dependent Children of Deceased University Employees (4)
(1) Part-time University Employees are eligible for up to seven (7) credits per semester.
(2) One (1) program of study.
(3) One (1) program of study; undergraduate only
(4) With at least five (5) years of FTE University Service; one (1) program of study; undergraduate only
NOTE: A terminated University Employee (or the Spouse or Dependent Child of a Terminated University Employee) may complete a semester or course for which a Student Tuition Credit was previously applied.
Forms and Other Information
All forms should be completed and sent to the Human Resources Office for approval. Once approved, you will be able to submit it to the respective campus for proper credit.
This information is provided as a general reference; where information that appears here differs from Trustee or University policy, the policy prevails. All fees, books and other course materials are the employee's responsibility.
Human Resources only verifies an employee's eligibility for the benefit. Some programs may not accept tuition waivers or discounts may vary by course/program. It is the employee's responsibility to verify eligibility during enrollment. Please contact each campus Bursar or Billing department for specific cost information.
How to Apply
- Tuition Credit Form (please note: you will need to log into the HR portal to get this form)
- Tuition Taxability Worksheet For Employee Graduate Courses
- Policy regarding taxation of Employee Graduate Level Education Assistance
- Policy regarding taxation of Employee's Dependent & Spouse Tuition Credits