What to do when Health Services is closed
If you are a residence hall student, first check with your Resident Assistant (RA). If you need immediate attention your RA will call the Campus Police. The Campus Police will call an ambulance. Emergency medical staff will evaluate and/or transport you,usually to to St. Luke's Hospital, located in New Bedford, MA.
Don't call an ambulance yourself. Campus police need to meet the ambulance at the entrance to direct the driver to the right location.
To call campus police from your cell phone: 508.999.9191. From an on-campus phone: 9191.
If you live off-campus dial 911 & your local emergency resources are:
- St. Luke's Hospital, 101 Page Street, New Bedford, MA, 02740 (508) 997-1515
- Charlton Memorial Hospital, 363 Highland Avenue, Fall River, MA, 02720 (508) 679-3131
- St. Anne's Hospital, 795 Middle Street, Fall Riveer, MA, 02721 (508) 974-5600
If your problem does not require immediate attention:
- Please contact Student Health Services at 508 999-8982 once it is open to set up an appointment or log into the patient portal to make one yourself.
- Call the RN telephone advice service at (508) 815-4588 if you are not sure about the severity of your illness, the nurse can tell you whether you can wait until Student Health Services is open or should be seen off-campus sooner.
Off-campus non-emergency resources
You may also want to consult an off-campus non-emergency resource. Call to confirm hours of operation.
- Southcoast Urgent Care Center (North Dartmouth)
This is the closest urgent care center to UMass Dartmouth.
435 State Road Unit F (Route 6 next to Starbucks)
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm Saturday & Sunday 9am-5pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
- Hawthorn Medical Urgent Care Center
531 Faunce Corner Road,
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm Saturday & Sunday 8am-4pm