UMass Dartmouth’s Office of EHS offers web-based laboratory safety courses for members of our research community. All faculty, researchers and students working in laboratories with chemical or biological hazards are required to complete training courses via the CITI Program website. Students can save progress and return to courses at their convenience via the CITI Program website. CITI program automatically tracks completion and emails users' reminders when refresher training is required. The online “Training for Investigators, Staff and Students Handling Biohazards” and “Lab Chemical Safety” courses cover foundational and core safety elements. CITI tracks users, logs completion records, and includes comprehension quizzes. Faculty and PI/researchers may require students to provide (print or email) their completion record for the lab’s records.
CITI Program Training Website
Any new hire or new chemical hygiene officer (CHO) participating in laboratory work must complete the following MANDATORY training requirements:
Online Courses Offered
- “Lab Chemical Safety”
- Required for learners that encounter hazardous chemicals while working in a laboratory
- Corresponding regulations: 29 CFR 1910.1450 (OSHA), 40 CFR 265 (EPA), 310 CMR 30.000 (DEP)
- “Training for Investigators, Staff and Students Handling Biohazards”
- Required for learners that encounter biohazards while working in a laboratory
- Corresponding regulation: BMBL/NIH Guidelines on Biosafety (CDC)
NOTE: Your Lab may have other specific equipment or protocol related trainings that are required. Use the Lab Safety Specific Training Checklist (PDF) to assist with completing all required trainings.