Frequently Asked Questions


Undergraduate and Graduate Students

Is there a fee to use Health Services?

There is no fee to use health services for an illness visit. Your health fee is in lieu of the co-pay. There is a co-pay for immunizations.

Each time you visit Health Services for care, we  bill your insurance (whether it's your student health insurance plan through the university, your own plan, or a family health insurance plan). This may require that you  obtain a referral from your Primary Care Provider. We will tell you this when you call for an appointment. Please bring a copy of your insurance card to each visit. If you do not have a card, then you need to have your insurance information with you. We will need a copy of both sides of your insurance card. This can be faxed to us at the time of your visit. There will be no out-of-pocket charges to you or your family. You should also bring your student ID to your visit.

What should I do if I am feeling ill?

When Fall and Spring semester classes are in session, Health Services is open on Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please call first for an appointment. The phone # is 508-999-8982. You may also go to the Student Health Portal at http;/ to make an on line appointment.

What should I do if I need help and the Health Services is closed?

If you have an emergency and Health Services is closed, contact Public Safety at (508) 999-9191 for immediate assistance. If calling from an on-campus phone, dial 9191.

If it's not an emergency, your Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD) may be able to assist you. In addition, you may call 508 415 4588 to speak with a registered nurse.  In addition, consider being seen at Southcoast Urgent Care at 435 State Road (Route 6 next to Starbucks) open 8 AM to 8 PM Monday through Friday and 9 Am to 5 PM. Saturday/Sunday.

What should I do if I have a question about my health, my lifestyle, my risk for sexually transmitted infections (STI's) or pregnancy, my weight or diet, or if I'm just stressed out?

Call Health Services for an appointment at x8982 or log into the student health portal at http;// to make an on line appointment.  Our professional staff can answer your questions, test you on site for STI's or pregnancy, counsel you on diet and weight management, or help you identify stress in your life. If needed, a referral to Counseling Services can be made for you, or you can contact the Counseling Center directly by calling x8650.


Is my health care confidential?

Your medical care is strictly confidential and no information will be released to parents, faculty, administrators or anyone else without your written permission.

The only exceptions are:

  • If you are a threat to yourself or to others.
  • If you are in a life threatening condition, medical information will be released to the professionals who are providing care or to others on a need to know basis. Exception: HIV status will not be released.
  • If we are requested by law for some communicable diseases or by a subpoena. Immunization status must be available to University officials and state inspectors to comply with Massachusetts law.

How long are my medical records kept by the university?

Medical records are kept for 7 years after you leave or graduate from the university. You may want to request a copy of your immunization records or your complete file prior to this time frame.

Other Common Questions

Can I keep prescription medications in my room?

Yes. We recommend you keep them in a locked box.

Can I get my allergy shots in the Health Service?

No. You can, however, contact Health Services for the names of local allergists.

Does the Health Service sell condoms?

They are free.

Where are you located?

We're located in the back of Roberts Hall and across from Pinedale.

Does the Health Services provide women's health care?

Yes. We have a Board Certified Women's Health Nurse Practitioner on staff. Call us for an appointment.

Does the Health Service treat sexually transmitted infections?

Most STI's can be diagnosed and treated on campus (for men and women).

Can I have blood work done on campus if needed?

Yes, if you have blood work ordered by your physician we will draw blood. It is then sent to our reference lab, which currently is UMASS Memorial Laboratories.

Can I be seen at the Health Office if I don't have school insurance?