Skip to main content.

Reverse transfer


Apply to one of our top programs, like Animation & Game Arts and our Charlton business programs.

A "reverse transfer" is an option for completing your associate's degree. If you transferred to UMass Dartmouth from one of the region’s community colleges, you may be eligible to receive an associate’s degree using credits earned as you pursue a bachelor’s degree. 

Learn more at Mass Transfer


Consider the advantages of a reverse transfer:

  • Many certifications, pay raises, and promotions are based on the attainment of a degree, so it is to your benefit to have your associate’s degree when you’ve earned it.
  • You effectively complete two degrees at the same time, since you receive your associate's degree while pursuing your bachelor’s degree.
  • Students who complete their associate’s degrees are more likely to finish their bachelor’s degrees.
  • If your pursuit of a bachelor’s degree is interrupted for any reason, you will already have a college degree: the associate’s degree.
  • There are no costs associated with the reverse transfer programsuch as transcript and graduation fees.


Submit the Reverse Transfer Form giving UMass Dartmouth permission to send transcript information back to your community college.

Upon receiving your form, the community college will send you a degree audit identifying your outstanding requirements. As you continue taking classes toward your bachelor’s degree, consider whether some classes might also help you complete your associate’s degree.

When you have met all degree requirements at the community college, the college will send you an application for graduation. Return the application, and you will receive your diploma and an invitation to the next graduation ceremony.


Please note the following details:

  • You must be in "good academic standing" and in "good financial standing" at both institutions.
  • You must be matriculated and have earned credits at UMass Dartmouth.
  • The receipt of your associate's degree is contingent upon your completing all of the degree requirements of the awarding community college, including the residency requirement and the minimum transfer grade requirement.
  • Students "reverse transfer" into a default associate's degree in Liberal Arts or General Studies, unless another option is agreed upon by the community college and the student.
  • MassTransfer benefits can’t be adjusted after your original matriculation at UMass Dartmouth. More about MassTransfer
Back to top of screen