Skip to main content.

Checklist for New Student Veterans

The application process

  1. Apply for GI Bill Benefits
    1. Go to the VA website.
    2. Beneath “How to I apply?”, click “Applying for a new benefit” and complete the application to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If done correctly, the final page will contain a confirmation number for your COE. Print this page for your records.
    3. VA reviews application and issues letter.
    4. For more information on: Veteran Benefits Guidelines and Veteran Benefits Programs.
    5. If you have exhausted all your GI Bill Benefits, you may be eligible for a Massachusetts Categorical Tuition Waiver (PDF).
  2. Review Transfer Student Checklist
  3. Complete and submit Transfer Admissions Application
    1. If you have not already been accepted to UMass Dartmouth, apply.
    2. Email and attach your military documentation to request a waiver of the UMassD Application fee.
    3. If you have any questions regarding the Transfer Admissions process, contact Darcy Stevens, Assistant Director of Admissions for Transfer Affairs/Veteran Liaison, , 508-999-8613.
  4. Request transcripts from any previously attended college be mailed to UMass Dartmouth
    1. Undergraduate Admissions Office
      University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
      285 Old Westport Road
      Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
    2. Write your name and your student identification number on every item you send in the mail.
      (You will receive your identification number from the Admissions Office after you apply online.)
  5. Request Military Transcript
    1. Army/Navy/Marines/Coast Guard  - Joint Services Transcript (Electronically submitted)
    2. Air Force – Air University/Community College of the Air Force (Mail to address below)
    3. Undergraduate Admissions Office
      University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
      285 Old Westport Road
      Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
    4. For more information on Military Transcripts.
  6. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (School Code: 002210)

Once you are accepted to UMass Dartmouth

  1. Meet with Kristina Leonardo, VA Certifying Official
    1. Email to schedule an appointment.
    2. To register as a veteran, please submit:
      • DD214 (Member copy 4)
      • VA GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or copy of benefits on E-Benefits
      • By submitting any of these documents, you will receive a 20% discount on a parking permit.
  2. If you have a documented disability, contact the Center for Access and Success regarding academic accommodations.
    1. New students should submit their disability documentation to then call 508.999.8711 to make an intake appointment to register and discuss accommodations.  If no one answers, please leave a message with your name, phone and student ID number, and reason for your call and a staff member will return your call.

Important Veteran contacts at UMass Dartmouth

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Back to top of screen