- Send Email
- Phone: 508.910.6568
- Fax: 508.999.8881
- Office: Textile Building, Room 213
Wenzhen Huang obtained his Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from The University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2004 and worked as postdoctoral research fellow at UW-Madison. He also worked as a professor of Mechanical Engineering at Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, for about 5 years.
Professor Huang's interests are in product and manufacturing process modeling, simulation, design analysis and optimization, and diagnosis for variation reduction and quality improvement. Specific topics in his recent and current research include streams of variation modeling and analysis (SOVA) in multi-stage manufacturing systems, compliant assembly process, GD&T modeling and simulation, statistical tolerance analysis and synthesis, probabilistic design and optimization, metrology and sensor system, and statistical signal processing for diagnosis and quality control. The application area covers automotive, fuel cell, MEMS,aerospace, shipbuilding, power industries, and general mechanical products and manufacturing systems design. His research has been and is supported by ATP/NIST, NSF, and UMASSD Chancellor's Fund.
Areas of interest
- Computer Aided Tolerance Analysis and Optimization (NSF & UMASSD Chancellor's Fund)
- Diagnostics in Manufacturing (ATP/NIST)
- MEMS and NANOManufacturing
- Modeling, Simulation, and Optimization of Manufacturing Systems (ATP/NIST)
- Quality Engineering and Applied Statistics
- Simulation and Computational Statistics
- Statistical GD&T Modeling and Simulation (NSF & UMASSD Chancellor's Fund)
1. W. Huang, B. R. Konda, Z. Kong, 2010, "Geometric Tolerance Simulation Model for Rectangular and Circular Planar Features", accepted to Trans. NAMRI/SME 38.
2. W. Huang, Z. Kong, A. Chennamaraju, 2010, "Fixture Robust Design by Sequential Space Filling Methods in Multi-Station Manufacturing Systems", conditionally accepted to ASME Trans. Journal of Computing & Information Science in Engineering (JCISE).
3. W. Huang, Z. Kong, 2009,"Process Capability Sensitivity Analysis for Design Evaluation of Multi-Station Assembly Systems", accepted to IEEE Trans., Special Issue on Advances in Automation Science and Engineering for Automotive Manufacturing.
4. Z. Kong,W. Huang, Oztekin, A., 2009, "Stream of Variation Analysis for Multiple Station Assembly Process with Consideration of GD&T Factors", ASME Trans., Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.131, Oct.2009, URL: http://link.aip.org/link/?MAE/131/051010, DOI: 10.1115/1.4000094.
5. A. Pahwa, W. Huang, 2009, "Multivariate Process Capability Analysis Using Non-parametric Model and Bootstrap Sampling", Trans. of NAMRI/SME 37,pp.589-596.
6. W. Huang, T. Phoomboplab and D. Ceglarek, 2009, “Process Capability Surrogate Model Based Tolerance Synthesis of Multi Station Manufacturing Systems (MMS)”, IIE Transactions, Quality & Reliability Engineering, 41,309-322.
7. W. Huang, D. Ceglarek, 2009, "Statistical Modal Analysis (SMA) for Variation Modeling", accepted to Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture.
8. W. Huang, Z. Kong, 2008, "Simulation and integration of geometric and rigid body kinematics errors for assembly variation analysis", Journal of Manufacturing Systems,27(2008),36-44, doi:10.1016/j.jmsy.2008.06.004.
9. W. Huang, Z. Kong, 2008, "Process Capability Sensitivity for Design Evaluation of Multi-Station Assembly Systems", Proceedings of the The 4th Annual IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE 2008), pp 400-405, August 23-26, 2008, Key Bridge Marriott, Washington DC, USA.
10. W. Huang, Z. Kong, 2008, "Model Simplification in Compliant Assembly Analysis", Trans. of NAMRI/SME 36:549-556.
11. Z. Kong, D. Ceglarek, and W. Huang, 2008, “Multiple Fault Diagnosis Method in Multi-Station Assembly Processes using Orthogonal Diagonalization Analysis”, ASME Trans., Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 130(1):pp. 145-154.
12. W. Huang, Z. Kong, 2007, "Integration of Part Geometric Errors and Rigid Assembly Stack-Up Errors in Assembly Modeling", Trans. of NAMRI/SME Vol. 35.
13. W. Huang, J. Lin, Z. Kong, D. Ceglarek, 2007, “Stream-of-Variation (SOVA) Modeling II: A Generic 3D Variation Model for Rigid Body Assembly in Multi Station Assembly Processes”, Trans. of ASME, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering,129(4):832-842.
14. W. Huang, J. Lin, M. R. Bezdecny, Z. Kong, D. Ceglarek, 2007, “Stream-of-Variation Modeling I: A Generic 3D Variation Model for Rigid Body Assembly in Single Station Assembly Processes”, Trans. of ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 129(4):821-831.
15. W. Huang, T. Phoomboplab, D. Ceglarek, 2006, “Explicit Yield Model (EYM) based Tolerance Synthesis Methodology for Large Scale Complex Assemblies”, Proceedings (CD-ROM) of 2006 ASME International Conference on Manufacturing Science & Engineering (MESC), Oct. 8-11, Yipsilanti, MI.
16. Z. Kong, W. Huang, D. Ceglarek, 2005, “Visibility Analysis for Assembly Fixture Calibration Using Screen Space Transformation”, ASME Trans., Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 127, No.3. pp. 622-634.
17. W. Huang, D. Ceglarek, 2005, “Model Complexity Reduction in Stream of Variation for Compliant Sheet Metal Assembly”, Proc. (CD-ROM) of 9th CIRP International Seminar on Computer Aided Tolerancing, Arizona State University, April 11-12, 2005.
18. W. Huang, Z. Y. Kong, D. Ceglarek, E. Brahmst, 2004, “The Analysis of Feature-based Measurement Error in Coordinate Metrology”, IIE Trans., Design & Manufacturing, 36:237-251.
19. W. Huang, D. Ceglarek, Z. G. Zhou, 2004, “Using Number-Theoretical Net Method (NT-net) in Tolerance Analysis”, International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems, 6(1): 65-90.
20. D. Ceglarek, W. Huang, S. Zhou, Y. Ding, K. Ramesh, Y. Zhou, 2004, “Time-based Competition in Multistage Manufacturing: Stream-of-Variation Analysis (SOVA)Methodology – Review”, International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing System, 6(1):11-44.
21. W. Huang and D. Ceglarek, 2002, “Mode-based Decomposition of Part Form Error by Discrete-Cosine-Transform with Implementation to Assembly and Stamping System with Compliant Parts”, Annals of the CIRP, 51(1):21-26.
22. Z. G. Zhou, W. Huang, L. Zhang, 2001, “Sequential Algorithm Based on Number Theoretic Method for Tolerance Analysis and Synthesis”, ASME Trans., Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 123(3): 490-493.
23. Y. J. Xue, X. H. Cheng, W. Huang, 2001, “Wear Failure and Fracture Mechanics Analysis of Automobile Absorber Connecting Rod”, (in Chinese) Journal of Tribology, 2001, (03):218-222.
24. Y. J. Xue, X. H. Cheng, W. Huang, 2001, “Application of Fracture Mechanics and FEM in Fatigue and Wearing Failure Analysis”, (in Chinese), Mechanical Strength, 23(3):365-368.
25. Z. G. Zhou, W. Huang, 2001, “Methods to Calculate the Mean and the Standard Deviation of the Function of Random Variables”, (in Chinese), Mechanical Strength, 23(1):107-110.
Submitted papers for publication
26. W. Huang, 2010, "Sample Size Determination in Quasi-Monte Carlo Simulation for Tolerance Design", submitted to ASME Trans. Journal of Computing & Information Science in Engineering (JCISE).
Working papers to be submitted
27. W. Huang, A. Pahwa, Z. Kong, 2010, "Kernel Density Estimation and Metrolopis-Hastings Sampling in Process Capability Analysis of Unknown Distributions", draft finished and to be submitted.
28. W. Huang, A. Pahwa, Wang, H., 2010, "Kernel Density Estimation and MCMC Sampling Techniques for Non-normal Process Capability Analysis: A Case Study", draft finished, to be submitted.