Who We Are
The Department of Facilities Services comprises more than 150 employees and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all university-owned buildings and grounds including utilities, custodial, safety, and security. Our mission is to provide a safe, functional, clean and attractive campus environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors. We provide emergency and necessary services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The University maintains 20 buildings on 710 acres in North Dartmouth with satellite campuses in New Bedford and Fall River.
What We Do
Most of our service requests are initiated through a computerized maintenance and management system, CAMIS. The system allows you to submit a service request and track your work order. To initiate a request, click on Submit a Work Request. The Service Call Desk (x8100) receives and handles routine and emergency problem/trouble calls (e.g. lights out, plugged faucets/drains, roof leaks, fire alarms, etc.) from the campus community.
Building maintenance has two primary responsibilities: performing maintenance and repair (preventive maintenance, deferred maintenance, trouble calls, etc.) on the state-funded facilities, utilities, and infrastructure and performing alterations requested by our customers on a recharge basis. Services include:
- General Maintenance
- Electric Shop
- Plumbing Shop
- HVAC Shop
- Lock & Key Shop
- Outside Contractors (Elevator Maintenance and Pest Control)
Grounds & Disposal Services
Grounds & Disposal Services (GDS) is responsible for providing horticultural, arborist, property and refuse disposal, hard-surface and athletic field maintenance, snow removal, landscape installation, and related services for the state-funded campus facilities. These same services are provided to non-state funded activities on a recharge or contractual basis. GDS personnel normally perform their work between the hours of 5 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday. There is limited service available Saturday and Sunday. Arrangements can be made to provide GDS services at any time upon departmental request. GDS also coordinates, as part of the refuse operation, the UMassD recycling program. For information on recycling please call x8100.
Energy & Utility Services
Infrastructure & Energy Management provides the campus with utilities management and energy expertise so that the university is as energy efficient as possible. Our responsibilities are as follows:
- Verify utility rates and audit monthly bills
- Provide accurate energy cost(s) across building and cost centers
- Identify possible operations and maintenance problems
- Determine energy improvement opportunities
- Evaluate prior energy projects
- Recommend energy conservation and improvement to system efficiency
- Assist with Electrical and Gas contract negotiation
- Establish energy related grant opportunities
- Provide guidance for load shedding requests
- Safe & efficient operation of the central Steam Boiler and Chiller Plants and the Wind Turbine
- Distribution of steam, chilled water and electrical energy to all buildings for heating and cooling
- Distribution of other central utilities such as natural gas, steam and compressed air for use in labs
- Operation of the digital control systems for the Central Plant and many educational, lab and administrative buildings
Work Order Service Center
In order to improve service to our customers, Facilities Management has instituted a work order call-in service center, whereby those who are not comfortable completing and submitting a work order request will be able to call in their issue between the hours of 7:00AM and 5:00PM to Facilities and work order will be generated in their behalf. For urgent requests after 5:00PM, customers should continue to use the Facilities on Call phone service. For routine or non-emergent issues the work order request can be submitted or called into the service center the following day. The service commenced June-01-2019 and the new extension for the service is extension 8100.
It is our hope that this service model will improve customer satisfaction for our community and provide efficiencies for Facilities Management.