The most modern living facility on campus
Our newest first-year residence hall, opening in fall 2020, will be the most modern living facility on campus. Split into two main residential buildings with a state-of-the-art dining facility as the connector, the beautifully designed community will be home to 1,210 students in fully-furnished single and double occupancy rooms.
- Maker spaces
- Practice & performance rooms
- Business centers with free printing
- Study room & TV lounges on every floor
- 24/7 front desk services
- Elevators in both residential buildings
- Trash & recycling programs
- Two large laundry rooms: one in each residential building, free to students
- Community kitchen in each residential building
- Gender-neutral bathrooms
- ADA accessibility
- Water refill stations
- On-site parking options
- Meal plan required
Residences: Balsam Hall & Spruce Hall
The residential buildings, Balsam Hall to the north and Spruce Hall to the south, will offer a total of 1,210 beds in 658 units: shared doubles, shared deluxe doubles, and private singles.
Each room features
- Built-in closet, per person
- Desk & chair provided, per person
- Two stackable dressers (two-drawer), per person
- Full XL mattresses
- Window treatments
- Carpeted floors
- Wireless internet
- Digital cable
- Card access readers
- 34 student staff (RAs)
- 2 full-time LEAD coordinators (Learning, Engagement, and Development)
- 2 faculty-in-residence
- On-site operations staff
- On-site maintenance and custodial staff
- Front desk staff
- Overnight security staff
Dining: The Grove
As the central hub of the new facility, new dining areas with seating for 800 will serve cuisine from around the world along with vegetarian and vegan options.
- Multiple stations for a wide variety of food options
- Oversized fireplace
- Outdoor seating options
- Teaching kitchen
In July 2018, the UMass Board of Trustees approved a $133.9 million plan for UMass Dartmouth that includes new first-year residence halls and a dining facility. The expected completion date is fall 2020. The new complex is centrally located adjacent to the Campus Center and is LEED Silver rated.
- Residence Facilities: 267,500 sq. ft.
- Dining Commons: 38,000 sq. ft.