First Year Residence Halls
The most modern living facility on campus
Our newest first-year residence hall is the most modern living facility on campus. Split into two main residential buildings with a state-of-the-art dining facility as the connector, the beautifully designed community will be home to 1,210 students in fully-furnished single and double occupancy rooms.
Balsam & Spruce amenities
Designed for academic and social success, our new first-year residence halls feature computer lounges, maker spaces, performance practice areas, classrooms, and plenty of outdoor gathering space. Large lounges with kitchen areas promote independent living. There are study areas and access to high-speed Wi-Fi throughout the entire community, plus free laundry with an app to remotely monitor your laundry’s progress.
Each residence hall for incoming students—first-years and transfers—features a number of different Engagement Communities. These Engagement Communities:
- increase awareness of opportunities and resources at UMass Dartmouth
- encourage participation in campus activities
- enhance academic, personal, and social success
Engagement Communities are based on preferences expressed by incoming students…so residence hall themes change and evolve based on incoming students' own preferences.
What is gender-inclusive housing?
Gender-inclusive Housing is a suite of rooms in which assignments are not determined by biological sex. This is often seen as a "safe space" for students who feel more comfortable living with students of a different biological sex, transgender students, or students interested in social justice issues involving gender conformity. Please note that students must actively choose to live in this community.
Any questions or interest in gender inclusive housing options can be directed to our Assistant Director for Housing Administrative Services, April Gauvin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I need some sort of special accommodations?
Visit ADA Reasonable Housing Accommodations to make requests for special accommodations. If you have a request or question that falls into another area, please don't hesitate to contact the housing office at email@example.com or 508-999-8140. We are happy to work with students individually to consider current on-campus housing that meets your needs.
- Make sure you’ve set up your UMassD login.
- Complete your housing application on the Student Information Portal (StarRez).
- Keep an eye out for an email beginning in April confirming you can begin this process.
- We recommend that you begin by watching these helpful videos from the Housing Team
- In StarRez, you will complete your housing contract, request accommodations, provide your emergency contact information, and more.
- Then, the fun stuff: roommate matching, choosing your residential (engagement) community, and selecting your room. You’ll be able to request your room and meal plan.
- Pay your housing bill on the Entrata ResidentPortal.
- If you’re living in Balsam or Spruce, you will receive two bills: your UMassD bill that includes tuition, student fees, dining, etc. (viewable on COIN) and your housing bill.
- You’ll receive login information for Entrata via email in July. This is where you’ll view your balance and pay your bill. Payments are due 8/1 – or if you’d like to join the housing payment plan, contact Nachel Motta.
Please note: To be eligible to check in to campus housing, you must meet the following requirements:
- enrolled for the current semester
- cleared through Health Services as having uploaded all needed documentation
- cleared through our Student Service Center through one of the following ways:
- Pay the semester charges in full.
- Have enough Financial Aid to cover your tuition, fees, and housing.
- Sign up for either the five-month or four-month payment plan for your tuition and housing bills AND complete the first required payment.