New faculty and staff

Welcome to CITS, UMass Dartmouth's department for Computing and Information Technology Services. Answers to new faculty and staff members' most frequently asked questions are listed below.

FAQs for new faculty and staff

How do I get help?

Faculty and staff should contact the IT Service Center in Library Room 440 by calling 508.999.8790 (x8790), sending email, or making a help request at

Faculty may also want to learn more about the Faculty Instructional Laptop Program.

What kind of computer should I buy?

Find out minimum purchase recommendations as well as suggested hardware configurations. For more information or questions regarding purchasing technology, please contact CITS' IT Procurement Team

Learn more about the Faculty Instructional Laptop Program (FILP).

What software is available?

View a list of the software CITS supports as well as information on software licensing and availability.

What is the UMassD Logon?

CITS offers a single username and password for a number of web-based services. Your UMassD Logon is your current email username and password; however, that username and password gives you access to many other IT (information technology) resources. Click on the link to find out what services currently use the UMassD Logon.

How do I get an email account?

Faculty and staff may request an email account by contacting Access Management: 508.999.8532 (x8532) or via email. Your email username and password is your UMassD Logon, providing access to a number of IT services beyond email.

What is an alias?

An alias is an alternate identifier that commonly follows a firstname.lastname convention, such as mary.smith . You can use it to more clearly identify yourself in email, especially if you feel that your UMassD Logon doesn't specifically identify you to email senders and receivers. You can also use it to establish a faculty or staff profile.

How do I get a COIN, HR Direct, or PeopleSoft Finance account?

Faculty and staff who need to use these systems should contact the Access Management team by making a help request at or calling 508.999.8532 (x8532).

How do I get my phone/voicemail set up?

Information on how to get a new phone set up, move a phone, change phone service or remove a phone is available on the Directory's telephone/voicemail information page

For additional information on UMass Dartmouth's voice mail system, contact Diane Gomes at 508.999.8828 (x8828).

How do I get a VPN account?

Once you have an email username and password, you can set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection. VPN is needed to access some campus systems remotely. Visit the VPN page for more information.

How do I connect my computer to the wireless network?

Instructions on how to configure your computer for access to the campus wireless network

How do I get my UMass email from home or other locations?

You can connect to your UMass email from anywhere you have an Internet connection by using the university's web-based Office 365 email. Access your mail through the myUMassD portal.

What are IT classrooms and where are they located?

The CITS computer classrooms are teaching spaces for faculty using computer technology in their coursework. When not being used for teaching, the classrooms become public access computer classrooms, which provide access to students, faculty and staff. More information about technology-enabled classrooms is available on the IT learning spaces review page.

What is a faculty/staff profile?

A faculty or staff profile is a repository for professional activities and accomplishments. The information in your profile may be viewed by colleagues, students, and the general public via the campus Online Directory.

More information

How do I get training?

CITS offers myCourses (online courses) and specialized application training.

Visit the University Calendar at and click the Workshops / Training link in the left column to see upcoming training opportunities.