Skip to main content.

Student Financial Hold Initiative Frequently Asked Questions

UMass Dartmouth was awarded one-time use funds from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) to help students reduce their student bill balance so they can register for spring 2021 courses.

I received an email about my fall 2020 student balance, what does this mean exactly?

UMass Dartmouth is slated to receive federal stimulus money from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA). The University decided to apply or post a portion of these funds to specific students who have an outstanding student bill balance as of fall 2020 which is preventing them from registering for the spring 2021 semester.

Why am I eligible to have my financial hold removed?

Eligibility was determined as full-time students (12 credits for undergraduates/law; 9 credits for graduate) who are in good academic standing. This includes international, DACA, and other students who are not Title IV eligible. Financial Aid eligible students must have exhausted all federal aid (including loans) to reduce their balance first.

Do I have to apply for this?

No, eligible students have already been contacted. Please check your UMassD email.

How much money am I getting?

You will not be receiving any money. Instead, the University will use federal stimulus funds to reduce your balance through fall 2020 to $995, provided you are enrolled full-time as of January 27, 2021 (the first day after add/drop). It is important to note that you remain responsible for the remaining balance and should work on resolving this balance over the summer to avoid future holds. 

So, I can register for courses immediately?

Yes, you can now register for classes via COIN. If you haven’t already checked in with your advisor, please contact them directly as soon as possible to resolve any potential advising holds and confirm what courses you need to take.  

Does this pay for my spring 2021 bill?

No. This one-time use funding will only be applied to your fall 2020 student bill balance. If you haven’t yet talked with the Financial Aid Office, please contact them at to make sure you have exhausted your fall federal aid eligibility to remain eligible for fall stimulus funding and to review your spring 2021 financial aid award to discuss financing options to resolve any outstanding balance.  

How do I get this money?

If you are enrolled full-time on January 27, 2021 (the first day after add/drop), the University will automatically post funds to reduce your fall 2020 student balance to $995. You do not need to do anything other than continue your education. Payments will be posted in early February 2021.

What are my financial responsibilities if I am not enrolled full-time for spring 2021 before the January 27 date?

If you are not enrolled full-time after January 27, 2021 (the first day after add/drop), the University will not apply stimulus funds to your fall 2020 student balance. Your account will be placed on hold and the balance for fall 2020, as well as any new charges for spring 2021, will be due in full. If you have any questions or concerns specific to maintaining your enrollment to remain eligible for these stimulus funds, please contact 508.999.8030.

Will this relief be offered next semester?

No, these are one-time use funds for the fall 2020 student bill balance. The University decided to invest this single stimulus remittance to help our students.

The stimulus funding was applied to my student balance, so why wasn’t my hold released?

While the University removed your financial hold, you may have other holds not related to your student finances, such as an advising hold. Please contact your academic advisor as soon as possible to resolve any potential holds that prevent you from registering and to confirm the courses you need to take.  Also, if you have an immunization hold on your account, please visit our Health Services Immunization Requirements website to learn more.

What if I need to review my fall federal aid eligibility and spring financial aid?

Please speak with our Financial Aid Office at

Who can I contact to learn more about this?

If you have questions, please call 508.999.8030.

What if I need more financial help?

The University is continually advocating for additional funds from the state legislature, the federal government, and private donors to help students. We will reach out to students as other funding becomes available. Please visit our CARES Act website to apply for federal CARES Act relief funding.


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.